Provost and Vice-President, Academic
Neil McCartney became Brock’s senior academic operating officer on 1 Dec. 2013. He had previously served as Dean of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, an appointment that first brought him to Brock in August 2011.
In 1993, McCartney was a visiting scholar at Stanford University in Palo Alta, Calif. He has co-authored or contributed chapters to 10 books, and has been the lead or contributing researcher for more than 80 journal articles.
Position Profile - Provost and Vice-President, Academic
- Academic planning and the development of new academic programs and the maintenance of the highest standards of excellence and quality of those programs and services.
- Promote innovation; collaboration; excellence in research, scholarship and teaching; and a culture of transparency
- Providing leadership in the administration of the academic units reporting to the Provost including Faculties, Library, Registrar's Office and Student Services
- Lead in the development and implementation of the University’s operating budget
- Representation of the academic budgetary needs, and the allocation and administration of the budget for academic units.
Serves as Acting President in the absence of the President
Serves on the Board of Trustees (Resource Personnel) and its Committees:
- Executive Committee
- Strategic Planning Committee
- Capital Projects and Facilities
- Financial Planning, Investment and Human Resources
Serves on the Senate (ex officio) and its Committees:
- Academic Review Committee (Chair)
- Planning, Priorities and Budget Advisory
- Information Technology and Infrastructure
- Research and Scholarship
- Graduate Studies
Serves on Joint BUFA/Administration University Committees:
- Joint Committee on Salary Anomalies
- Joint Committee on the Administration of the Agreement
Serves as a Senior Academic Administration representative:
- Senior Administrative Council (SAC)
- Committee of Academic Administrators (CAA)
- Committee of Academic Deans (CAD)
- Ontario Council of Academic Vice-Presidents (OCAV)
- National Vice-Presidents Academic Council (NATVAC)
905-688-5550 x. 4121