The need for United Way
United Way helps those who need it most. United Way brings people and resources together to strengthen and enhance quality of life for the people who are most vulnerable in our community.
Only through United Way can one gift support hundreds of essential local services.
1 in 3 people in Niagara will use a United Way funded program in their lifetime
Your gift to United Way will help with three priority areas:
1. From Poverty to Possibility
i.e. Meeting basic human needs and moving people out of poverty.
- Last year (2014), United Way funded programs offered 850 hours of one-on-one support for women living in transitional housing.
- Last year (2014), United Way was able to support programs that helped nearly 24,000 individuals and families access food in times of need.
- Last year (2014), 223 adults improved their literacy skills through United Way-funded programs.
2. All That Kids Can Be
i.e. Encouraging children and youth to reach their full potential.
- Thanks to the support of United Way, last year (2014) 1,211 youth accessed free drop-in recreational and educational programs.
- Last year (2014), United Way funded programs served 12,289 snacks to youth living in stressed neighbourhoods.
- Last year (2014), 717 at-risk youth received crisis support through United Way funded programs.
3. Strong Communities
i.e. Enhancing quality of life of adults with disabilities and those in crisis.
- 339 adults with developmental disabilities volunteered, worked or learned a new skill (2014).
- 13,223 distress calls were answered (2014).
- 616 individuals were provided with transportation to counseling, medical appointments or day programs (2014).
For a list of all of the local agencies that United Way of St. Catharines & District support, visit the United Way website.