Department of Economics
Professor of Economics
Office Location on Campus: Plaza Building Room 425
Phone: 905-688-5550 ext., 3165
Ph.D. Economics, University of Western Ontario, 1969
M.A. Economics, University of Western Ontario, 1966
B.A. (Honours Economics), University of Western Ontario, 1965
Areas of Interest
- Estimating the returns of insider trading
- Stock market reaction to insider trading reports
- The effect on share prices of interlisting stocks
- Urban economics
- Application of event study methodology to the stock market
Joseph Kushner is Professor of Economics at Brock University and was formerly with the Royal Military College of Canada.
He was the first recipient of the Brock University Social Sciences Faculty Award of Excellence for Teaching (2002) and is a co-recipient of the Douglas C. Mackay Outstanding Paper Award in Finance (2004). He is on the Editorial Board of Canadian Public Administration.
His publications have appeared in the following journals: Advances in Industrial and Labor Relation, Antitrust Bulletin, Applied Economics Letters, AREUEA Journal, Atlantic Economic Journal, Canadian Business Economics, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, Canadian Journal of Agriculture Economics, Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Journal of Political Science, Canadian Journal of Public Health Canadian Journal of Urban Research, Canadian Public Administration / Administration Publique du Canada, Canadian Water Resources Journal, Cost and Management, Dalhousie Review, Engineering Economist, Health Services Research, International Business and Economics Research Journal, Science Forum, Journal of the Midwest Finance Association, Municipal Finance Journal, National Tax Journal, Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, Review of Financial Economics, Utilities Policy.
- Kwong, Lester, Don Cyr, Joseph Kushner and Tomson Ogwang “A Semiparametric Hedonic Pricing Model of Ontario Wines” forthcoming, Canadian Journal of Agriculture Economics.
- Cyr, Don, Joseph Kushner, Martin Kusy and Tomson Ogwang (2010), “Over-the-Counter Weather Derivatives as a Snowfall Risk Management Tool for Municipalities" Municipal Finance Journal, Volume 31,Number 01, Spring, pp.61-81(21).
- Kaciak, Eugene and Joseph Kushner (2009), "Determinants of Residents' Recycling Behaviour" International Business and Economics Research Journal, August, Volume 8, Number 8, pp. 1-12.
- Ashton, Michael, Joseph Kushner and David Siegel (2007), "Personality Traits of Municipal Politicians and Staff" Canadian Public Administration / Administration Publique du Canada , summer/ Ete, volume 50, number-numero 2, pp.273-289.
- Kushner, Joseph and David Siegel (2006), "Why Do Municipal Electors Not Vote?" Canadian Journal of Urban Research, Winter, Volume 15, Issue 2, pp.264-277.
- Kushner, Joseph and David Siegel (2005), "Are Services Delivered More Efficiently After Municipal Amalgamations?" Canadian Public Administration / Administration Publique du Canada , summer/Ete, volume 48, number-numero 2, pp.251-67.
Kushner, Joseph and David Siegel (2005), "Citizen Satisfaction with Municipal Amalgamations", Canadian Public Administration / Administration Publique du Canada, Volume 48, No.1 (Spring/Printemps), pp.73-95.
Renzetti, Steven and Joseph Kushner (2004), "Full Cost Accounting for Water Supply and Sewage Treatment: Concepts and Case Application", Canadian Water Resources Journal, Vol.29 (1), pages 13-22.