Maurice Feldman, Ph.D.
Faculty of Social Sciences - Child and Youth Studies
Maurice Feldman, Ph.D.
C. Psych, BCBA-D - Professor
(905) 688-5550 ext. 4894
Dr. Feldman is a cross-listed professor with the Department of Child and Youth Studies. His primary academic unit is the Centre for Applied Disability Studies. As such, he typically accepts MA students thought that program, but will consider Child and Youth Studies MA applicants.
Dr. Feldman is a scientist-practitioner with expertise in behaviour disorders, autism, developmental disabilities, child maltreatment, and parenting. He is a leading expert in parenting by persons with learning difficulties, having designed and scientifically validated a parent education program emulated worldwide. Currently, he is co-Principal Investigator (with Frances Owen) of the 3R's - Human Rights Training Project for Persons with intellectual disabilities. He has published extensively in peer-review journals and books, and has given numerous addresses and workshops.
- Early identification and intervention for children with or at risk for developmental, behavioural, emotional, psychiatric, and school problems.
- Atypical development, including autism, developmental disabilities, developmental psychopathology, dual diagnosis, behavioral genetics.
- Positive behavioural interventions for severe behaviour disorders.
- Parent, teacher and staff training.
- Child maltreatment and parenting, particularly related to child neglect and parents with learning difficulties
- Human rights of persons with disabilities
Feldman, M.A., & Aunos, M. (2010). Comprehensive competence-based parenting capacity assessment for parents with learning difficulties. Kingston, NY: NADD Press.
Feldman, M.A., McConnell, D., Aunos, M. (2012). Parental cognitive impairment, mental health and child outcomes in a child protection population. Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 5 (1), 66-90. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19315864.2011.587632 (invited peer-review).
McConnell, D., Feldman, M., Aunos, M. & Prasad, N. G. (2011). Child maltreatment investigations involving parents with cognitive impairments in Canada. Child Maltreatment, 16(1) 21-32.
Yashan, K., Regehr, K., Reaume, J., & Feldman, M.A. (2010). Group social skills training for adolescents with Asperger’s syndrome or high functioning autism. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 16(2), 53-63.
Feldman, M. (2010). Parenting education programs. In G. Llewellyn, R.Traustadóttir, D. McConnell, & H. Björg Sigurjónsdóttir (Eds.), Parents with intellectual disabilities: Past, present and futures. (pp. 121-136). Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
Dr. Maurice Feldman