Department of Economics
Professor of Economics
Office Location on Campus: Plaza Building Room 433
Phone: 905-688-5550 ext., 3329
Ph.D., University of British Columbia, 1984
B.A. (Honours), Economics, University of Western Ontario, 1978
Areas of Interest
post-secondary education, faculty salaries, unions
Professor Martinello was awarded the OCUFA's 2011-12 Lorimer Award. The award is meant to "honour and recognize outstanding contributions to improving the terms and conditions of employment of Ontario university faculty through bargaining".
Professor Martinello received the Douglas C. Mackay Outstanding Paper Award in Finance from the Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences for the paper "Union Raiding Activity and the Value of Canadian Firms: Do Unions Pick Stock Market Winners?" authored with R. Hanrahan, J. Kushner, and I. Masse. (2003)
- “Transfers from college to one Ontario university: A four-year outcome study” with Jo Stewart, Canadian Journal of Higher Education Vol. 45, #1, (2015) pp.18-36.
- “Faculty Salaries In Ontario: Compression, Inversion And The Effects Of Alternative Forms Of Representation” Industrial and Labor Relations Review Vol. 63, # 1, (October 2009) pp. 128-45.
- “Transitions and Adjustments in Students’ Post-Secondary Education” in Who Goes? Who Stays? What Matters? Accessing and Persisting in Post-Secondary Education in Canada, edited by R. Finnie, R.E. Mueller, A. Sweetman, and A. Usher. (McGill-Queen’s University Press) 2008, Chapter 9, pp. 209-38.
- “University Revenues and Faculty Salaries in Ontario: 1970/71 to 2003/04”, Canadian Public Policy, Vol. 32, # 4, (December 2006) pp. 349-372.
- “Union and Employer Tactics In Ontario Organising Campaigns with Charlotte Yates”, in Advances In Industrial And Labor Relations Volume 13, edited by David Lewin and Bruce Kaufman, (New York: Elsevier) 2004, pp. 157-190.
- “Mr. Harris, Mr. Rae, and Union Activity in Ontario”, Canadian Public Policy, Vol. 26, #1 (March 2000), pp. 17-34.Wage and Employment Determination in a Unionized Industry: The IWA and the British Columbia Wood Products Industry Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 7, #3 (July 1989), pp. 303-30.
- “Insurance in a Unionized Labour Market: An Empirical Test”, Canadian Journal of Economics,Vol. 21, #2 (May 1988), pp. 394-409.