The Village

The Village

Department of Residences

The Village is divided into North, South and West designations. The following are their names.

Village North:

Dittrick Spartans (Court 1)
Jacob Dittrick (1755-1828) joined Butler's Rangers in New York State and fought with them during the American Revolution. When the Rangers were disbanded in 1784, he received a grant of land as a United Empire Loyalist on the Twelve Mile Creek. He and his wife Margaret were among the founding settlers of St. Catharines. He served in the Lincoln Militia in the War of 1812.

Kirby Cows (Court 5)
William Kirby (1817-1906) was born in England and emigrated to the United States in 1832. He came to Canada in 1839, finally settling in Niagara-on-the-Lake. He edited the Niagara Mail for twenty years and was a collector of customs, 1871-1895. He was a writer of some repute, both as a novelist and historian. His most famous work was the historical novel, "The Golden Dog" (1877). His historical accounts include "The Annals of Niagara" (1896) and other works dealing with Loyalist and Niagara history.

Carnochan Killer Whales (Court 6)
Janet Carnochan (1839-1926) was a school teacher and principal, churchwoman and noted local historian in Niagara-on-the-Lake. She founded the Niagara Historical Society in 1895, serving as its president for thirty years. She headed the fund-raising campaign to build Memorial Hall, the first building constructed in Ontario to house a local historical museum. She was the author of many historical writings and Carnochan Day is celebrated annually in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

Bennett Broncos (Court 12)
Named after Arthur and Muriel Bennett, to recognize a very generous gift made by the estate of Muriel Bennett to Brock University. Muriel was born in Nichol Township and returned to Port Colborne in 1921 where she was a teacher at Dewitt Carter School until 1931. She was an active member of the Port Colborne Central United Church. She was also a life member of the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum, Port Colborne General Hospital, UCW of Central United Church and Bruce County Historical Society. Muriel passed away in 1998 at the age of 99. Her husband Arnold predeceased her in 1965. This gift tells not only of the Bennetts’ contribution to higher education and to Brock University, but it also shows their optimism and belief in the future.

Village South:

Tubman Polar Bears (Court 4)
Harriet Tubman (1820-1913) was a courageous and compassionate woman who, as a "conductor" on the Underground Railroad, guided Blacks from slavery to freedom. While based in St. Catharines, she is credited with nineteen dangerous journeys and with bringing 300 escaped slaves to the city. Called "Black Moses" for her indomitable spirit, she recieved a Diamond Jubilee Medal from Queen Victoria and was honoured with a commemorative stamp from the U.S. government -- the first in the Black Heritage U.S.A. Series.

Petrie Pirates (Court 7)
Francis Petrie (1920-1983) was devoted to local history as a historian, writer and speaker for 25 years. He produced a regular weekly newspaper article, wrote pamphlets and addressed many heritage groups on the history of Niagara Falls and the Niagara Peninsula. He also served on various histroical society and museum boards, and as Official Historian of the City of Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.

Wetherald Wolverines (Court 8)
Agnes Ethelwyn Wetherald (1857-1940) lived for many years in Pelham Township. She was honoured at her death as an outstanding writer. She was a journalist on the staff of the Toronto Globe as well as a freelance writer who contributed to various periodicals. She also published five volumes of verse.

Hainer Hammerheads (Court 9)
John Hainer (1744-1802) was a United Empire Loyalist, who served in Butler's Rangers during the American Revolutionary War. He was one of the earliest settlers on the Twelve Mile Creek land which is now part of the City of St. Catharines. He was influential in establishing the first church and school in the area.

Village West:

Theal Eagles (Court 2)
Mary Theal (1838-1914) was born on land now owned by Brock University. The original family member came to America in 1636, settling in Massachusetts. Several of Mary's ancestors took an active part in the American Revolution and some later came to Canada as Loyalists. Her grandfather settled in the Niagara Peninsula in 1800, and served with the 2nd Lincoln Militia in the War of 1812. Three generations of the Theal family, including Mary, owned and lived on the present Brock lands.

Lampman Dinos (Court 3)
Peter Lampman (1749-1834) was a member of an early Loyalist family who fled from New York State in the 1780s during the American Revolution. Peter and his wife Elizabeth eventually settled in Grantham Township. He farmed, served on a municipal council and in the militia in the War of 1812.

Currie Chameleons (Court 10)
Emma Currie (1829-1913) was the founder of the present day Women's Literary Club (founded 1892). As well, she organized the Orphans' Home, advocated women's right to vote and took an interest in many societies of her time.

Green Gators (Court 11)
Jacob Green was killed in a disturbance near the Old Jail in Niagara-on-the-Lake in September, 1837. Closely associated with Herbert Holmes, he was determined to resist an attempt to return to the United States a slave named Solomon Moseby, accused to horse-stealing. Green was killed instantly by armed constables after having stopped a prison wagon to which the prisoner was handcuffed. The prisoner escaped, making his way evenutally to England. His death was the culmination of long-standing anxieties and grievances: no authoritative statement was ever made whether Moseby was to be tried for horse-stealing or whether (as was widely rumoured) he was being returned to slavery. Something of the same suspicion and distrust must have surrounded the outbreak of rebellion north of Toronto three months later.


Traditional Residence Inspections
February 8, 2016 - 10:00am - February 12, 2016 - 4:30pm
Monthly Traditional Residences Fire Alarm Testing
February 10, 2016 - 1:00pm - 2:30pm
Townhouse Inspections
February 1, 2016 - 10:00am - February 5, 2016 - 4:30pm