Other External Opportunities
• The Movember Foundation — Canadian Men's Health and Wellbeing Innovation Challenge. The Movember Foundation has issued a request for applications for grants valued at up to $75,000 per year for two years. Q&A teleconference June 5, 2014, 6:00–7:00 PM. Deadline: online registration and submission of idea, June 26, 2014, 5:00 PM. Pitch deadline (by invitation): August 31, 2014, 5:00 PM.
• 2014-2015 Quebec-Ontario Cooperation for Agri-Food Research Competition (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food). This program offers funding for joint Ontario-Quebec projects supporting water management and integrated pest management research issues of interest to both provinces. Submission deadline: September 16, 2014.
• Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships: The 2014-2015 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships competition has launched. For more information and internal procedures and deadlines, visit our Banting Fellowships page. Internal deadline: July 21, 2014; agency deadline: September 24, 2014.
• Google Faculty Research Awards are one-year awards structured as unrestricted gifts to universities to support the work of world-class full-time faculty members at top universities around the world. Next application deadline: October 15, 2015.
• The Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) is issuing an open call for proposals from Industry Associations or Industry Consortia for its Voucher for Industry Association R&D Challenge (VIA) program to develop, launch and manage joint funding partnerships. VIA partnerships connect industry associations or formal industry consortia with Ontario's publicly funded academic research institutions (universities, colleges and hospitals) to address sector-wide research and development challenges. Funding is intended for collaborative research, development and commercialization projects between industry and academia. Funding through the program will be disbursed to Ontario publicly funded academic institutions. Please see the full program guidelines and application questions document on this Call for Proposals. You can also access detailed information about this call for proposal on OCE’s website.
• Canada Council for the Arts current list of funding opportunities
• Awards to Scholarly Publications. Formerly known as the Aid to Scholarly Publications Program, the ASPP is a competitive funding program designed to assist with the publication of scholarly books on topics in the humanities and social sciences. For more information see: http://www.ideas-idees.ca/aspp/authors
• Brock International's list of current funding opportunities
• The Prometeo Project (Ecuador) is an initiative of the Ecuadorian government that seeks to strengthen the research, academic and knowledge transference in specialized topics through the incorporation of foreign and Ecuadorian (who live abroad) researchers/academics to different host institutions. It is aimed at universities, polytechnic schools, public research institutes, and other public or co-financed institutions that require assistance in the development of research projects in areas of priority. Projects will be in a variety of areas such as: basic and life sciences, natural resources, innovation, production, social sciences, education, art and culture.
• Horizon 2020 — European Framework Programme for Research and Innovation. The first calls for proposals have been launched by Horizon 2020, the main financial tool through which the European Commission supports research and development activities covering almost all disciplines - including ICT; Space; Materials and Biotechnology; Health; Sustainable Agriculture; Food Security; Water; Marine/Oceans; Transport; Energy; Security; Climate Action/Environment; and Societies.
Although projects and other activities funded by Horizon 2020 must be led by EU institutions, international collaboration with third countries such as Canada is actively encouraged. Canadian participation in these projects can be funded if the expertise they bring to the project is vital and cannot be found within the EU. For Horizon 2020 calls that target Canadian participants, see the ERA-Can website.