- Recreation Services
- Facilities & Hours
- Fitness & Courses
- Child/Youth Programs
Coed Indoor Soccer-Baseball Rules
Coed Indoor Soccer-Baseball Rules
The Game, Field, Players & Equipment
- The game must be played between 2 teams of 8 players. Teams will consist of at least 4 females. Teams need a minimum of 6 players to start and finish a game.
- When playing with 7 players, the gender difference can only be one (minimum of 4 females). An out will be assessed when 2 people of the same gender kick back to back. NB: When an out is assessed for the same gender kicking back to back, it is the person who was supposed to be up to bat who is out. (Ex. Boy 1, Boy 2 kick, Girl 1 is out, and Boy 2 kicks again to regain the proper order of the batting lineup). This is an appeal rule, and the defensive team must appeal this for an out to happen.
- When playing with 6, teams need even numbers of males & females.
- The captain is the only player who may address the officials during the game, but only on matters of rules interpretations.
- Roster Limit is 16 players. The defense can only field 8 players at one time, however the offense can bat up to 16 players in a game. Batting order must go male-female-male-female or female-male-female-male.
- NO ID! NO PLAY! No exceptions!
- Abusive or insulting language, acts of unfair play, and coaches, captains, or substitutes on the field of play without permission will result in suspension or forfeit.
- A half inning will consist of 3 outs. A game will consist of 9 innings or 45 minute time limit. (6 innings or 30 minutes, depending on entries and schedules).
- Must wear closed toe athletic shoes and proper athletic attire, this means no hats, and no sandals.
- A game is considered official once the losing team has completed 5 batting innings.
Starting and Ending the Game
- The pre-game conference: each team manager/captain will meet with the umpire of the game before the game to go over ground rules.
- Scoresheets must be filled out before the game.
- Student cards must be given to scorekeeper, in the correct batting order. If there is an uneven number of males and females, the males will have a batting order and the females will have a batting order. The full batting order must go male-female-male-female, etc.
- A coin flip (odd/even) will determine who will be the home team.
- A forfeit will be called 10 minutes after the scheduled start time if teams do not meet minimum player requirements.
- In the playoffs, in the event of a tie game after the time limit or 9 innings, there will be extra innings until we have a winner. These extra innings will be played under International Rules (the inning begins with: 1 out and a runner on 2nd. The runner on 2nd is the last batter out from the previous inning).
Pitching & Defense
- The defensive team may set in any order the team wishes. There is no set rule for placing defending players, except that they must be behind the foul line, exception: catcher.
- The offensive team will supply the pitcher. There will be a two pitch maximum.
- Each team is required to have a catcher.
- The batter is allowed two pitches to kick the ball in fair territory.
- If a kicked ball hits the pitcher: The ball is dead, no runners may advance, no runs may score and no outs may be recorded. If the pitcher COULD NOT get out of the way of the ball (this will be the common interpretation)- the batter has one strike added to their count and may continue their at bat. If the pitcher COULD get out of the way OR is Intentionally blocking the defense in the umpire’s judgment, the batter is declared out, the pitcher is removed from the pitcher’s mound (but may play another position) for the rest of the game.
Kicking & Running
- Kicking Order: A team can kick all members of their team. A team must keep same kicking order in game’s entirety.
- The kicker may not run past home plate before kicking the ball. Contact must occur behind the plate. PENALTY: The ball is dead and counts as a pitch, no runners may advance, no outs may be recorded, except on the batter, only if it is on their second pitch.
- Bunting is illegal (bunting is defined as the kicker intentionally lightly kicking the ball so that the defense has no real chance of getting the batter/runner out. If the umpire judges this to happen, a strike will be placed on the at bat, if it, if it is the last strike, then the batter will be declared out.
- The foul line is the second boundary line of the volleyball court on court 1. Any ball that is touched before that line is declared a foul. Also on the wall, the ball must hit the ‘pole’ on the wall closest to the exit doors or beyond, a ball hitting the wall before that will be deemed foul on the 3rd base side. On the first base side, the ball must reach the wall after the extension of the volleyball court line to be deemed fair.
A player is out when…
- A player will be ruled out if he/she kicks two fouls.
- Gets hit by the ball from the shoulders down before reaching the base. Exception: a player who is not in a regular standing/running position and is hit in the face/head will be ruled out (Example: bending down to avoid getting hit or the runner falling down/ sliding).
- A pop fly is caught.
- The Runner is forced out.
- There will be no infield fly rule.
- A runner who leaves the base before the pitch reaches home plate or is kicked, is out and the ball is dead. Leading off and stealing bases is not allowed.
- They bunt the ball on their second pitch.
- When 2 kickers of the same gender kick back to back, an out will be assessed in the spot not occupied by the opposite gender.
- Plays at the plate- any play at the plate is like a force play, the runner must cross a safety line from the point of home plate extended to the wall, before the catcher has control of the ball AND at least one foot on home plate.
- When an offensive player attempts to slide into a base.
- The offensive order will remain the same throughout the game, defensive players can cycle in and out as the team wishes.
- The manager or team captain making the substitution shall immediately notify the other team’s captain and umpire.
- If an offensive player is in need of a substitution (injury) they may be substituted through the umpire, scorekeeper and opposing team, and be made on this basis. A male may be replaced by anyone in the order, a female may be replaced by any female in the order. This should only occur when an injury prevents the player from continuing on.
- Substitutions must be made based on gender (girl for a girl; male for a male)
- Any player may be removed from the game during a dead ball.
- We will allow free defensive substitutions, however if a player misses an at bat and the player is skipped in the order, they will be considered removed from the contest.
- Late arrivals must be placed at the bottom of the order, respecting gender order. 30 minutes after the scheduled start time, no new players may be added to the game
- See Intramural Policy & Procedures Manual
Ian Beddes Gym Rules
- Homerun barrier between gym 3 and 4, the upper mesh barrier
- Everything is considered live, this includes the roof, basketball nets, etc. with one exception (see rule 8.3)
- The right side of the gym has cubbies for benches. The cubby for Gym 1 is a foul ball. The cubby for Gym 2 is a Ground Rule Single, and the cubby for Gym 3 is a Ground Rule Double.
- The left side of the gym has the track in the event that the ball reaches the track, the following rules will apply. Between the nets on court 1 and 2, it will be a ground rule single, between the nets on court 2 and beyond will be a ground rule double.
- The only out of play area is if the ball is thrown to the plate and bounces onto the balcony. The play is dead at that point, and the batter and runners may advance 2 bases from the time of the pitch (batter is on 2nd).
- If the ball bounces behind the barrier between gym 3 and 4 or is lined back there below the bar, it is a ground rule double.
- If the ball is kicked and gets lodged in mesh barrier and will not come down, it is a ground rule double.
For any rules not covered above, the ruling will default back to Major League Baseball Rules for the current season, excluding any replay rules.