- Recreation Services
- Facilities & Hours
- Fitness & Courses
- Child/Youth Programs
Ice Hockey Rules
Ice Hockey Rules
Non-Contact Ice Hockey Rules:
Standard Hockey Canada rules will govern play, with the following exceptions:
- Current Brock students, Staff and Alumni with a facility membership are eligible to participate
- The team may only have any combination of 2(total) ex-varsity, Jr. A/B players, current Sr. A. players. These players must be indicated when the team registers. Unless your team is playing in the open division.
- Students MUST have their student cards to play.
2. Dress (*See note at bottom of page)
- Each player is required to provide his own equipment. All players must be fully outfitted at least from the waist down.
- All team members must wear the same colour Jerseys (Team sets are available from the cage)
- No player will be allowed to play without a CSA approved helmet with a full visor or cage and a neck guard.
3. Game Protocol
- Both teams will shake hands before the game begins
- The number of periods and the length of periods will be determine by the number of teams playing in the league
- Players must stay off the ice until flooding is complete. Failure to do so will result in a Two (2) minute penalty to start the game.
- If a game is defaulted, the team in attendance may use the ice time for practice.
- A game may be played with a minimum of 5 players. The team must have 5 players in attendance at least 10 minutes after the scheduled start time, or the game is defaulted.
- During playoffs, if the game goes into overtime, one 5-minute period, then a 3-player shoot out will take place.
- NO time-outs may be called in any game.
- Captain must be recorded on the game sheet.
4. Two-Line Passes
- Two-line passes are legal.
5. Abuse of Officials
- Only the team captain may address an official. When speaking with the official, the captain is expected to be courteous. The penalty for any other player addressing an official will be a 3-minute penalty. Verbal Abuse of an official is unacceptable and will be dealt with by the Intramural Coordinator.
6. Penalties to Note:
- All decisions of officials are final.
- When players of both teams receive coincidental minor penalties, both players are ruled off the ice for 3 minutes.
- Any players receiving 3 penalties in one game, is out of that game.
- Any player charged with 3 stick infractions in one game, is out of that game plus will receive a one-game suspension.
- Any high stick infraction which draws blood = out of game plus a one-game suspension.
- Abuse of an official carries a minimum 3-game suspension.
- The minimum suspension for spearing or butt-ending will be 5 games.
- Fighting will result in a minimum 3 game suspension. NOTE: “fighting” is described as any punch thrown at an opponent or an attempt to throw a punch WITH OR WITHOUT a glove (not simply a roughing penalty like OMHA rules)
- Suspended players may not sit on the team bench.
- Any player who receives any 2 suspensions during league play will be removed from the league.
- If a player is suspended the captain must also sit one game. No questions asked.
- After any suspendable offence the offensive player and their captain must meet with the Intramural Coordinator a maximum of 3 business days after the game in question but before their next scheduled game. This meeting is to help determine the seriousness of the offence and ensure that all accounts of the event are heard. This is when the player will be informed if they are suspended or not and if they are suspended, for how many games.
Default Bonds for Ice Hockey
1. $40 Performance Bond
- lose $20 for defaulting game, not showing up to time-keep, non-matching shirts.
- 2nd offense = loss of remainder of bond, plus team must post another $40 bond, or they will be removed from the league.
All team members must wear the same colour Jerseys (Team sets are available from the cage)
The first offence will result in a warning to the team.
The second offence will result in a five (5) minute major to the team.
The third offence will result in a five (5) minute major to the team plus a loss of half the performance bond.
The fourth offence will result in a loss of the second half of their performance bond plus expulsion from the league.
Default score is 2-0