The policies and procedures are intended for both visiting students and Learning Centre Teaching Assistants. These guidelines aim to clarify the role and responsibility of every person who uses the Mathematics Learning Centre.
The role of the student:
Before you arrive at the Mathematics Learning Centre, there are a number of steps you can take to make your visit as successful as possible.
- Check the Learning Centre schedule to determine when your course TA will be available, or when general first-year course help is offered.
- Come to the Learning Centre with your books, lecture notes, and a list of questions. If you are working on an assignment, bring the question page with you.
- Attempt to solve your question first. Plan to show the TA your work, and explain what you did and why.
- Prepare a list of questions, or specific examples, with which you are struggling. Identify which steps (or topics) you understand, and which ones need further explanation.
During your time in the Learning Centre, it is your responsibility to ask questions of the TA, and to continue to put independent thought into your work.
The role of the Teaching Assistant:
Teaching assistants are in the Learning Centre to provide students with additional course support. While in the Learning Centre, students can expect that the TAs will:
- assist in understanding course concepts by working through examples, practice problems, and other course materials, to the best of their ability.
- provide additional guidance and clarification, but not solve or provide answers to questions, on course assignments.
- promote an open and welcoming learning environment.
It is the responsibility of all users of the Mathematics Learning Centre to adhere to Brock University's Academic Integrity Policy, Student Code of Conduct, and Human Rights and Equity Policies.
Department of Mathematics & Statistics