Uwe Brand, PhD DFGAC PGeo
Professor and Chancellor's Chair for Research
Isotope Carbonate–hydrogeochemist interested in stable and radiogenic isotopes and their application to climate/environmental change in epeiric seas and oceans of the geologic past, and the evaluation of the ecologic health of modern watersheds
- 1988–present: Professor of Earth Sciences; and Adjunct Professor, Department of Geology & Planetary Science, University of Pittsburgh; and during 2008–2010 Chancellor's Chair for Research Excellence (Brock University).
- 1993–1999: Adjunct Professor, Department of Geology, University of Toronto.
- 1989–2001: Professor (part-time), Department of Geology, McMaster University
- 1983–1988: Associate Professor of Earth Sciences, Brock University
- 1980–1983: Assistant Professor of Earth Sciences, Brock University
- 1979–1980: NSERC Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Waterloo
Awards and Distinctions
- 2010 - 2013, Editor-in-Chief, Chemical Geology
- 2008. Brock University Chancellor's Research Chair.
- 2004. Volunteer Work Award, House of Commons, A. Tirabassi, MP–Niagara Ctr
- 2003. Volunteer Recognition Award, City of Welland, Welland B & C Dev. Corp.
- 1999. Conservation Achievement Award, Niagara Pen. Conservation Authority
- 1998. Conservation Achievement Award, Niagara Pen. Conservation Authority
- 1995. Distinguished Fellow of the Geological Association of Canada
- 1990. Past President's Medal of the Geological Association of Canada
- 1980. Outstanding Paper Award, Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogists
- 1979–1980. NSERC Post-doctoral Fellowship, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Waterloo
- Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (APGO)
- Ph.D. University of Ottawa
- M.A. University of Missouri-Columbia
- B.Sc. University of Waterloo
- ERSC 1F01 Planet Earth
- ERSC 3P11 Carbonate Sedimentology
- ERSC 3P31 Geochemistry
- ERSC 4P31 Watershed Analysis
Research Articles (since 2008)
- BRAND, U., JIANG, G., AZMY, K., BISHOP, J., MONTANEZ, I.P. 2012. Diagenetic evaluation of a Pennsylvanian carbonate succession (Bird Spring Formation, Arrow Canyon, Nevada, U.S.A.) - 1: brachiopod and whole rock comparison. Chemical Geology, 308-309, 26-30.
- GARBELLI, C., ANGIOLINI, L., JADOUL, F., BRAND, U. 2012. Micromorphology and differential preservation of Upper Permian brachiopod low-Mg calcite. Chemical Geology, 298-299, 1-10.
- BRAND, U., LOGAN, A., BITNER, M.A., GRIESSHABER, E., AZMY, K., BUHL, D. 2011. What is the ideal proxy of Palaeozoic seawater chemistry? Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists, 41, 9-24.
- AZMY, K., BRAND, U., SYLVESTER, P., GLEESON, S.A., LOGAN, A., BITNER, M.A. 2011. Biogenic and abiogenic low-Mg calcite (bLMC and aLMC): evaluation of seawater-REE composition, water masses and carbonate diagenesis. Chemical Geology, 280, 180-190.
- BRAND, U., AZMY, K., TAZAWA, J.-I., SANO, H., BUHL, D. 2010. Hydrothermal diagenesis of Paleozoic seamount carbonate components. Chemical Geology, 278, 173-185.
- BRAND, U., TAZAWA, J.-I., SANO, H., AZMY, K., LEE, X. 2009. Is mid-late Paleozoic ocean chemistry coupled with epeiric seawater isotope records? Geology, 37, 823–826.
- GRIESSHABER, E., KELM, K., SEHRBROCK, A., SCHMAHL, W.W., MADER, W., MUTTERLOSE, J., BRAND, U. 2009. Amorphous calcium carbonate in the shell material of the brachiopod Megerlia truncata . European Journal of Mineralogy.
- AZMY, K., POTY, E., BRAND, U. 2009. High-resolution isotope stratigraphy of the Devonian-Carboniferous boundary in the Namur-Dinant Basin, Belgium. Sedimentary Geology, 216, 117–124.
- McCARTHY, D.P., CRAIG, B., BRAND, U. 2009. Lichen monitoring of urban air quality, Hamilton, Ontario, Chapter 10. In: Relating Atmospheric Source Apportionment to Vegetation Effects: Establishing Cause and Effect Relationships. A.H. Legge (Ed). Developments in Environmental Science, 9, 243–262.
- KORTE, C., JONES, P.J., BRAND, U., MERTMANN, D., VEIZER, J. 2008. Oxygen isotope values from high latitudes: clues for Permian sea-surface temperature gradients and Late Paleozoic deglaciation. Palaeogeog., Palaeoclimatol., Palaeoecol., 269, 1–16.
- GRIESSHABER, E., NEUSER, R.D., BRAND, U., SCHMAHL, W.W. 2008. Texture and microstructure of modern Rhynchonellide brachiopod shells – an onthogenetic study. Am. Ceramic Soc., 92, 722–734.
Selected Older Publications
- CAME, R.E., EILER, J., VEIZER, J., AZMY, K., BRAND, U., WEIDMAN, R., 2007. Coupling of surface temperatures and atmospheric CO2 concentrations during the Paleozoic era. NATURE, 449, 198-201.
- BRAND, U., LOGAN, A., HILLER, N., and RICHARDSON, J. 2003. Geochemistry of modern brachiopods: applications and implications for oceanography and paleoceanography. Chem. Geol. 198, 305–334. (cross-listed in Virtual Journal of Geobiology: 1B – Biota-Hydrosphere/Cryosphere Interactions, v. 2, issue 6, June 2003).
- SMITH, P.E., BRAND, U., and FARQUHAR, R.M., 1994. U/Pb systematics and alteration trends of Pennsylvanian-aged aragonite and calcite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 58, 313–322.
- BRAND, U., 1991. Strontium isotope diagenesis of biogenic aragonite and low-Mg calcite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 55, 505–513.
- Morrison, J.O., and Brand , U. 1986. Paleoscene #5. Geochemistry of Recent marine invertebrates. Geoscience Canada, 13, 237–254.
- Brand, U., and Veizer, J. 1980. Chemical diagenesis of a multicomponent carbonate system-1: trace elements. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 50, 1219–1236.
- Councillor, Town of Pelham (since 1997)
- Hydrogeochemist, CERTI Environmental Consultants
- Associate Editor, Carbonates & Evaporites
- Voting Member, Bashkirian–Moscovian/Morrowan–Atokan Boundary Working Group, Subcommission on Carboniferous Stratigraphy (International Commission on Stratigraphy, IUGS).
- Grant Reviewer (NSERC, NSF, NERC)
- Journal Publication Reviewer
International activities & collaborations
Voting Member, Bashkirian–Moscovian Boundary Working Group (ICS Subcommission on Carboniferous Stratigraphy) with international scientists: Alekseev, Altiner, Dzhenchuarva, Fissuenko, Fohrer, Groves (chair), Kulagina, Lambert, Nemyrovskaya, Nikolaeva, Pazuhkin, Poletaev, Samankassou, Turner, Ueno, Villa & Wang.
Work progresses with J.M. Dickins ( Canberra, formerly Australian Geological Survey; dec.) and C. Korte (Ruhr University–Bochum) and others on the chemostratigraphy project of the Australian Permian sequences from the Tasman, Bowen, Sidney, Carnarvon and Canning Basins.
E. Griesshaber, Schmahl, W., Neuser, R., Job, R., Pettke, T., van den Kerkhof, Veizer, J. (Ruhr Univ – Bochum; ETH Zürich, Göttingen Univ., Fern Univ.) are collaborators on a number of projects involving the chemistry, microstructures, fluid inclusions of modern and fossil brachiopods.
Project 1: deals with an investigation into the chemical homogeneity and composition of fluid inclusions in brachiopods (modern and fossil). The investigation uses high-resolution micro-Raman spectroscopic, microthermometric and laser inductively-coupled-plasma mass-spectrometric analyses.
Project 2: Brachiopod shell calcite is being studied in detail to discern the microstructural configuration by EBSD (electron backscattering diffraction) and PIXE (proton induced x-ray emission). The architecture of inorganic biomaterials is of interest in prototype design of optimized materials, and may lead to new fabrication techniques.
Work continues with Y. Gao ( Washington State) studying the trace element and stable isotope chemistry of several Pacific fish stocks to determine ecologic health and migration patterns.
Department of Earth Sciences