Department of Classics
Associate Professor, Ancient Environment, Latin, Roman History
BA, MLitt, PhD (Trinity College Dublin)
2004-2005 Garden and Landscape Fellow at Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, D.C.
Department of Classics
St Catharines ON L2S 3A1 CANADA
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext. 5374
Fax: 905 984 4859
Teaching 2013-2014 (on leave fall 2013):
- CLAS 4V55/5V55: Empire and Environment (winter)
- CLAS 1P92: Introduction to Roman Civilization (winter)
My work focuses on the ways in which gardens and landscapes have been used as vehicles of cultural communication, indoctrination and, on occasion, resistance. From 2010-2013 I hold a SSHRC Standard Research Grant for the project "Receptions of the Graeco-Roman Villa Garden in Europe and America 1873-1974", which offers funding for both a senior undergraduate and graduate researcher. As part of a wider project on erotic garden space I am currently preparing an article on hermaphrodite imagery in Roman houses. My other interests include Latin letters, the ancient economy, and Roman history and historiography.
Contact me if you are interested in any of the following: the ancient environment, Roman domestic art and architecture, Space Syntax Analysis, Columella, Pliny the Elder, or Pliny the Younger.
- "Eastward in Eden: The Pre-Classical Roots of Meaning in Mediterranean Gardens", in J. Dixon Hunt, M. Leslie and K. Gleason (eds.) A Cultural History of Gardens Vol. I: A History of Gardens in the Ancient World (Bloomsbury, 2013).
- "Literary Representations of the Ancient Garden: 500 BC-AD 500" (with Antony Littlewood), in J. Dixon Hunt, M. Leslie and K. Gleason (eds.) A Cultural History of Gardens Vol. I: A History of Gardens in the Ancient World (Bloomsbury, 2013).
- The Roman Garden: Space, Sense and Society (Routledge 2009).
- “Performative Space and Garden Transgressions in Tacitus’ Death of Messalina,” in American Journal of Philology 130: 595-624.
- "Reconsidering Hyperreality: Roman Gardens in America (1892-1974)," April 12, 2013, University of Cincinnati.
- "Decline and Fall: The Antique Garden of Louise du Pont Crowninshield," Disciples of Flora: Gardens in History and Culture, February 21-22, 2013, University of Florida, USA.
- "Not-So-Strange Encounters: Hermaphrodites in the Roman House," Crossing Borders, Crossing Lines: Feminism and Classics VI, May 24-27, 2012 Brock University, Canada.
- "Awake in the Wilderness: Ariadne and the Sensuous Surface," Classical Association of Canada Annual Meeting, Dalhousie University (May 2011).
- "Fantasy Landscapes: Discourse and Didactics in Graeco-Roman Gardens 1873-1974," Classics and Class, The Royal Academy, London (July 1-2, 2010).
Excavations at Horace’s Villa
The Little Sparta Trust, The Garden of Ian Hamilton Finlay
Space Syntax Laboratory