Department of Classics
Associate Professor, Ancient Environment, Latin, Roman History
BA, MLitt, PhD (Trinity College Dublin)
2004-2005 Garden and Landscape Fellow at Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, D.C.
Department of Classics
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext. 5374
Fax: 905 984 4859
- CLAS/HIST 3P05: History of the Roman Republic (fall)
- CLAS 4V67: Landscapes, Cityscapes, and the Ancient Environment (fall)
- LATI 4P11: Pliny's Letters (winter)
- CLAS 1P92: Introduction to Roman Civilization (winter)
My work focuses on the ways in which gardens and landscapes have been used as vehicles of cultural communication, indoctrination and, on occasion, resistance through art, literature and material evidence. My current project studies the reception of Graeco-Roman villas and their gardens in Europe and America, 1873-1974. My other interests include Latin letters, the ancient economy, and Roman history and historiography. For 2014-15 I am an Archaeological Institute of America National Lecturer.
Contact me if you are interested in any of the following: the ancient environment, Roman domestic art and architecture, architectural reception, space syntax analysis, Columella, Pliny the Elder, or Pliny the Younger.
Select Recent Publications:
- 2014. “Garden Hybrids: Hermaphrodite Images and Gendered Space in the Roman House”, Classical Antiquity 33.
- 2013. “Meaning”, in J. Dixon Hunt, M. Leslie and K. Gleason (eds.) A Cultural History of Gardens Vol. I: A History of Gardens in the Ancient World (Bloomsbury).
- 2012 “Columella”, “Horticulture”, and “Roman Landscapes”, in R. Bagnall et al. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Ancient History (Wiley-Blackwell).
- 2009. “Performative Space and Garden Transgressions in Tacitus’ Death of Messalina”, American Journal of Philology 130: 595-624.
- 2009. The Roman Garden: Space, Sense and Society (Routledge).
- Sexing the Garden: Performance Anxiety in Columella Book 10, Classical Association of Canada Annual Meeting, McGill University, 2014.
- Reconsidering Hyperreality: ‘Roman’ Houses and their Gardens (1892-1974), American Philological Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, 2014.
- Decline and Fall: The Antique Garden of Louise du Pont Crowninshield, Disciples of Flora: Gardens in History and Culture, University of Florida, 2013.
Excavations at Horace’s Villa
The Little Sparta Trust, The Garden of Ian Hamilton Finlay
Space Syntax Laboratory