Published on Brock University (http://www.brocku.ca)
Ph.D. University of Toronto (2004)
M.A. University of Western Ontario (1994)
B.A. (Honours), University of Western Ontario (1991)
• Cultural identity in early modern Spain and colonial Latin America; mestizos and racialization discourses in early colonial Peru.
• Early modern book history in Spain and Spanish America; relationship of state bureaucracy and cultural production; literary censorship
Selected Recent Publications
Pícaro and Cortesano: Identity and the Forms of Capital in Early Modern Spanish Picaresque Narrative and Courtesy Literature. Lewisburg, PA.: Bucknell University Press, 2011. 170 pp.
“Market, Audience and the Fortunes and Adversities of Lazarillo de Tormes, castigado (1573).” Hispanic Review 79.2 (2011): 189-211.
“Court, Market and the Fashioning of the Galateo español.” Bulletin of Hispanic Studies 87.8 (2010): 921-938.
“A Taste for Symbolic Wealth: Gusto and Cultural Capital in Baltasar Gracián.” Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos 32.2 (2008): 315-331.
Selected Recent Conference Papers
“Mestizo Jesuit Students’ Appeal to Pope Gregory XIII and the Polemics of Hispano-Andean Identity in Sixteenth-Century Spanish Peru.” Paper presented at the Sixteenth Century Society Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, October 24-27, 2013.
“El ‘yo’ mestizo y la formulación de un sujeto colonial de superior devoción en el Perú del siglo XVI.” Paper presented at the Canadian Association of Hispanists Annual Meeting, Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Victoria, BC, 1-8 June, 2013.
“Censorship, the Censor, and Bartolomé de Torres Naharro’s Propalladia (1573).” Paper presented at the Sixteenth- and Seventeenth-Century Spanish Drama Division, Annual Convention of the Modern Languages Association, Boston, MA, 3-6 January, 2013.
“The 1599 Lazarillo and the Cultural and Textual History of Lazarillo de Tormes.” Annual Convention of the Modern Languages Association, Seattle, WA, 5-8 January, 2012.
Selected courses taught at Brock University
• SPAN 1F00 Introductory Spanish
• MARS 1F90 Medieval and Renaissance Civilizations
• SCLC 1F90 Cultures of Western Europe
• SPAN 1P95 Conquest and Colonization
• SPAN 2P10 Latin American Cultures Since Independence
• SPAN 2P20 Analysis and Approaches to Literary Texts
• SPAN 3P97 Modern Spanish Literature and Culture
• SPAN 3P98 Contemporary Chronicle & Testimonial Writing
• SPAN 3Q90 Early Modern Spanish Literature and Culture
• SPAN 4P15 Imagining Identity in the Early Modern Hispanic World