This program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.
Post-Graduate Work Permit online application instructions (pdf)
Citizenship and Immigration Canada:
- You must submit your application for a work permit within 90 days, starting from the day when your final marks are issued. In cases where the final graduation requirement is a thesis, the 90-day period starts when you have defended your thesis, and the final draft of the thesis has been accepted. NOTE: The 90-day time period is NOT calculated from the Convocation date or the expiry date of the Study Permit.
- You must have a letter to confirm you have completed all requirements for your degree:
- Graduate students: Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) Letter http://www.brocku.ca/graduate-studies/current-students/student-forms (use "General Request Form" on the right side under "Miscellaneous Forms")
- Undergraduate students: Eligibility to Graduate Letter http://www.brocku.ca/registrar/forms
When filling the general request form, in the “Comments area”, make sure you indicate:
“For Post Graduation Work Permit application"
Remember that you can only request this letter after Registrar's office can confirm you have completed all your degree requirements. Any letter without this confirmation will not be accepted by CIC for processing this PGWP. If you have received a letter states: “upon successful completion of … courses and all degree requirements, the degree requirements will have been met for the conferring of a Bachelor of…”, DO NOT use it to apply for PGWP. You will be rejected because this letter dose not confirm that you HAVE completed all degree requirements.
- You must have a valid study permit to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit. Your Work Permit will not be extended past the expiry date of your passport.
- If you have completed a program of study that is a two year program or longer, you will be eligible for a PGWP that allows you to work in Canada for 3 years. If you have completed a program of study that is between 8 to 23 months you will be eligible for a work permit that is equivalent in length to the duration of your program.
- For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria.
- If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.
Post Graduation Work Permit