Leveraging the knowledge of many.
Experience Peer Mentoring – and get advice and tips from other students who are in the same point in their lives as you. You can develop your skills as a leader, create action plans for your future and find out what career you are suited for – All while hanging out with people who have a lot of common interests as you.
In peer groups, you can expect to leverage the knowledge of many in an effective and time efficient way. You will choose a group that interests you based on your academic background, your career interests, or your social interests.
The participants of the group set the pace. You meet when you want, and you contribute what you can. The most successful peer groups are made up of students who are truely interested in the topics being discussed and they share based on their comfort level.
Possible Peer Group Themes;
- Health care
- Socially minded
- World view thinkers (discussing life's big questions and ethics)
- Accounting or Finance
- Fundraising or Charitable work
- Coaches & Leaders
- Career Search
- Arts and Culture
- Rec and Leisure
- Social Media
- ... and many more, if you have ideas for a group, we would love to hear them
You do not need to be an expert in any of these areas to join a group. You can join a group simply becasue you have an interest or a passion for the subject matter.
If you don't know what career path you're interested in - that's fine! We will start you out by doing a Strong Interest Inventory® to help you investigate some of the jobs that are best suited to your personality and interests.
- Your group will decide on the direction they would like to take in terms of goal setting
- You can choose to involve yourself in any of the professional and personal development worshops we offer including; group dynamics, commmunications development and project management
What are the benefits?
- Friends in your area of interest to discuss challenges and successes
- Peer mentoring validation on your Experience Plus transcript
- A tailored action plan to help you achieve your career goals
- Refine you problem solving, communication and goal setting skills and gain the capability to apply these skills to your academic and personal life
- A fun way to enhance your confidence in public speaking
- Strengthen your facilitation skills by assisting in the the organization and development of your peer group
- A personal career assessment (optional)
- Using our TypeFocus™ Careers assessment tool, find out what attributes of your personality fit your career aspirations
- Or, complete the Strong Interest Inventory® used to help students discover their interests, preferences and personal styles- exactly the information you need to select a career that you are passionate about
Peer groups are open to students across the university, regardless of your program of study. If you can committ 2-4 hours per month from January to April to contribute to your group, you should get involved!