Practice, Practice, Practice!
Making an excellent first impression is critical for a successful interview. Arriving on time, the way you dress, and most of all, how you express yourself can mean all the difference in your interview.
Before heading into your next interview, spend some time using our newest technology: InterviewStream! This tool provides feedback and tips of non-verbal behavior and communication missteps, plus it gives you the opportunity to seek feedback from others – your friends, family, faculty or staff in the Career Centre.
How to use InterviewStream:
You’ll need a quiet place and a computer with a web cam. If you don’t have a web cam, you can visit our office, where we’ll loan one to you. (You will need to provide a $20 deposit, which will be refunded to you when you return the web cam to us).
• Computer Microphone
• High Speed Internet Connection (Cable, Fiber, DSL)
• XP, Vista, Windows 7 & 8, OSX 10+, iOS, Android
• Processor: 2.0 GHZ or better
• Memory: 2GB or better
• IE 9*, Firefox 3.0+, Chrome 3.0+, Safari 5+
*InterviewStream recommend browers - Chrome 3.0+, Firefox 3.0+, IE 11+, or Safari 5+
To access InterviewStream, login to your student or alumni CareerZone account
On CareerZone, click on Career Services > Online Resource Centre > Interviews and select the link to InterviewStream.
Once at InterviewStream, create an account by following these steps:
- Click “Create Account” or log in if you have already registered with InterviewStream.
- We STRONGLY recommend that you view the TUTORIAL available to understand how to use this resource. It will help you understand the process, how to set up a mock interview, record it (including technical instructions related to using the web cam), view it, and should you so choose, send it to others for feedback and suggestions.
- When you are ready to practice, click on “Conduct Interview”, where you can choose 'Custom' to create your own interview and select questions from the database; or choose 'Created for me' to access pre-arranged interviews by your professor.
- Be sure to adjust the webcam and volume on the right side of the computer screen before beginning the interview.
- The interviewer will ask you a question and you can then respond. When finished with your response, click the mouse and it will stop recording.
- After each question, you can either “Retry” the response, “Skip” and come back to the question, “Review” to see your response, or choose “OK” to move on.
- When you submit your final response, an outro video will play and your responses will be uploaded. Be sure to leave your browser open until the upload is complete.
- To watch your completed interview, return to the main dashboard and click on "Watch My Interview'. Click the questions on the right to review your responses. To share your interview with others, click the 'Share' button and insert email addresses and a message, then click 'Send'.
- Should you choose to forward the email to the Career Centre, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive feedback from one of our highly trained Senior Career Assistants within 2 business days.
A step by step user guide is available in the' Resources' section of the main dashboard. For some good tips on how to avoid using “filler” words, take a look at Umm...Like Remix video. For a good laugh, watch Scary Interview.
Good luck and have fun!