Published on Brock University (http://www.brocku.ca)
Lowenberger Residence Hall Names and Mascots:
East 100/200s "Richardson Hall" Ravens
Major John Richardson (1796-1852) At the outbreak of the War of 1812 Richardson joined the British army. Once retired, he published the poem “Tecumseh” and a historical novel called “Wacousta”. He published two weekly newspapers starting in 1841 to 1844 called “The New Era” and “The Canadian Loyalist”.
West 200s "Nelles Hall" Stars
Colonel Robert Nelles (1761-1842) A loyalist from the Mohawk Valley, New York, Nelles came to Canada during the American Revolution and from 1780 to 1784 he served in the Indian Department. Nelles built mills and a store on nearby Forty-Mile Creek (presently the town of Grimsby) and soon became a prominent merchant.Nelles was a justice of the peace, member of the legislative assembly and commanding officer of the 4th Lincoln Militia.
East 300s "Pierpoint Hall" Wolves West 300s "Brown Hall" Coyotes East 400s "Beatty Hall" Hawks
Richard Pierpoint (c. 1744-1838) One of the first black settlers in this region but was born in Senegal. He was imprisoned at the age of 16 and shipped to America where he became a slave of a British officer. During the American Revolution he enlisted in the British forces and gained freedom by serving with Butler’s Rangers. At the outbreak of the War of 1812 he joined the Coloured Corps and in 1821 he petitioned the government for passage to Africa but was denied.
Hannah Brown (1777-1845) Hannah was born in Sussex County New Jersey. She came to the Niagara region in 1788 with her parents. As a daughter of a United Empire Loyalist, Hannah petitioned for land in 1801 and was granted 200 acres of Crown land in King Township, located near New Market. The settlement around Brown’s Bridge grew and so did the need for community services. Because of her many duties, Hannah did not have as much time as she wanted for her family’s home schooling. As a result she pressed for the construction of the first log school house which was built on her family’s plot of land, Lot 260 of Thorold Township. The school building also served as the first library in the area.
Sir Edward Wentworth Beatty (1877-1943) Born in Thorold, Beatty attended the University of Toronto and Osgood Hall. In 1898 he joined the legal department of the Canadian Pacific Railway in Montreal and became the company’s first Canadian born president. He led the CPR in head to head competitions with the Canadian National Railways and was responsible for building the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. He was knighted in 1935. During World War II Beatty assisted the Canadian war effort by coordinating shipping and rail transport until 1941.
West 300s "Brown Hall" Coyotes
East 400s "Beatty Hall" Hawks