Published on Brock University (http://www.brocku.ca)
Brock BASICS (Balance and Strength Training for Community Seniors)
For those who are eligible, we are currently conducting a study examining the effects of a 12-week exercise and balance program for seniors on a variety of outcomes including body image, confidence, and balance.
What is it?
This is a study to examine how a balance training program leads to improvements in health-related outcomes.
Who is eligible?
• Men or women, 55 years of age or older with no physical or cognitive impairment that would prevent exercise participation, able to walk independently, and able to read and understand English
What will you do?
• You will be asked to do the following:
• At your first visit, you will complete several questionnaires, balance & fitness tests (1 to 1½ hours)
• Then you will be randomly assigned to either a control or exercise group:
• At 6-weeks and 12-weeks, you will be asked to complete same set of tests (questionnaires, balance, fitness)
• Complete the same questionnaires, balance, & fitness tests 1 year later
Why do it?
• Help determine how this exercise program improves health-related outcomes
• Receive a free supervised exercise program for 12 weeks
• Receive results of your fitness tests
If interested, please contact:
Dr. Kimberley Gammage at (905) 688-5550 x 3772 or firstname.lastname@example.org 
This study has been reviewed and received ethics clearance through the REB (#11-267). For answers to pertinent questions about research participant’s right, please contact the Research Ethics Office at 905-688-5550 ext. 3035, email@example.com