The thought of having your own business can be very appealing. Being your own boss and seeing your ideas develop into a successful business may result in a very rewarding career. On the flip side, the reality of owning your own business may be more complicated than you realized.
Before you make the decision to be an entrepreneur, ask yourself:
- Are you ready to be your own boss?
- Are you prepared for managing staff and operations?
- Do you have a business plan?
- Do you have finances in place to start your business?
- How will you know if you are successful?
- How do you plan to stay competitive?
Resources to help you get started:
Canada Business – Starting a Business
Enterprise Centre - St. Catharines
Settlement.org (for newcomers to Canada)
Summer Company – Students and Young Entrepreneurs
Books available in the Career Resource Centre:
- Opportunities in Your Own Service Business, 4th Edition, by McKay, Robert.
- Start your Own Business, by Lesonsky, Rieva.