Published on Brock University (http://www.brocku.ca)
Current topics, information and ideas that are the subject of ongoing conversations with faculty, students and our network of colleagues
• Federal Skilled Worker Program — The federal government announced recently that it intends to accept up to 1,000 foreign doctoral students annually as permanent residents through the Federal Skilled Worker Program.
• Business education — A new report by the US-based Graduate Management Admission Council states that Canada is the third most popular destination in the world for graduate business education.
• International enrolment — The U.S, Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) recently reported that there was an increase of 8% in first-time enrolment of international students at U.S. graduate schools from 2010 to 2011.
• Professional Doctorate — Professional Doctorate programs are well established in Australia and the United Kingdom, but rare in Canada. Is this a model for future program development at Brock?
Read an overview of recent research conducted by the Faculty of Graduate Studies
• A Guide to Diploma Programming in Ontario (as of March 2011) — The Faculty of Graduate Studies created this guide to demonstrate the variety of Graduate Diploma programs that are currently being offered in Ontario Universities. The information for this project was collected in February 2011, drawing upon the graduate studies websites of each University.
• In July 2009, The Canadian Association of Postdoctoral Scholars (CAPS), a national professional organization formed to advocate on behalf of postdocs, conducted a survey to serve as a guide on the issue of postdoctoral status. CAPS reports on its analysis of the data in the report: A postdoctoral crisis in Canada: From the “Ivory Tower” to the Academic “Parking Lot”
Links of interest
• Council of Ontario Universities (COU)
• Ontario Council of Graduate Studies (OCGS)