There are many components in planning and executing events. Below are some general steps that can be used as a guideline:
- Determine the purpose and objectives or goals that you wish to accomplish and determine if an event is the appropriate way to accomplish them.
- If an event is the best course of action, establish a strategy to accomplish the goals and objectives.
- Prepare a work plan that covers all planning aspects, when they are to be accomplished and who is responsible for each.
- Set the budget for the event.
- Determine the target audience for the event, and create an invitation list.
- Move forward with work plan and the aspects included in the work plan.
- Prepare and distribute the event outline and briefing packages.
- Ensure all event details are accomplished by walking through the event as if you were a guest attending.
- After the event, complete an evaluation to determine if the goals and objectives were accomplished.
- Send thank you correspondence and ensure expenses are paid.
Here are additional tools that you can download and use in your planning:
Event strategy and objectives
Campus event checklist
Sample event outline