What's Confucius Institute?
As China's economy and exchanges with the world have seen rapid growth, there has also been a sharp increase in the world's demands for Chinese learning. Benefiting from the UK, France, Germany and Spain's experience in promoting their national languages, China began its own exploration through establishing non-profit public institutions which aim to promote Chinese language and culture in foreign countries in 2004: these were given the name the Confucius Institute.
Over recent years, the Confucius Institutes' development has been sharp and they have provided scope for people all over the world to learn about Chinese language and culture. In addition they have become a platform for cultural exchanges between China and the world as well as a bridge reinforcing friendship and cooperation between China and the rest of the world and are much welcomed across the globe. Through the joint efforts of China and the Confucius Institute host countries in addition to the enthusiasm and active support of people all over the world, by the end of 2010, there have been 322 Confucius Institutes and 369 Confucius Classrooms established in 96 countries. In addition, some 250 institutions from over 50 countries have expressed requirements for establishing Confucius Institutes/Classrooms, amongst them some of the world's top universities.
Confucius Institutes/Classrooms adopt flexible teaching patterns and adapt to suit local conditions when teaching Chinese language and promoting culture in foreign primary schools, secondary schools, communities and enterprises. In 2009, Confucius Institutes/Classrooms around the world offered 9,000 Chinese courses of a multitude of styles, with a total enrollment of 260,000, a 130,000 strong enrollment increase from the previous year. More than 7,500 cultural exchange activities took place, involving the participation of over 3 million reaching double the participation figures of the corresponding period of the previous year
截至2010年10月，各国已建立322所孔子学院和369个孔子课堂，共计691所，分布在96个国家(地区)。孔子学院设在91国(地区)共 322所，其中，亚洲30国(地区)81所，非洲16国21所，欧洲31国105所，美洲12国103所，大洋洲2国12所。孔子课堂设在34国共369 个(缅甸、马里、巴哈马、突尼斯、坦桑尼亚只有课堂，没有学院)，其中，亚洲11国31个，非洲5国5个，欧洲10国82个，美洲6国240个，大洋洲2 国11个。
Introduction extracted from Confucius Institute Online
^back to the top
Vision, mission, & values of Confucius Institute at Brock University, Canada
Vision statement of CI at Brock 长远发展蓝图
The Confucius Institute (CI) at Brock University envisions itself to be a dynamic, integrated, and interdependent administrative unit to assist in the fulfilment of the strategic plan of Brock University. The CI at Brock is committed itself to provide comprehensive services to faculty, staff, and students at Brock University, in the local Niagara community, and beyond. Further, the CI at Brock will foster the educational and cultural collaboration (e.g., teaching, research) between Canada and China especially between Niagara region (Canada) and Fuzhou area (China).
The goals of CI at Brock include 布鲁克孔子学院的发展目标包括:
1. Providing language certification training to enhance the quality of Chinese language and culture education for certified K-12 teachers in the Province of
Ontario, Canada 提供语言认证培训,增强从幼儿园到中学12年级（k – 12）教师
2. Developing Chinese language teaching materials that meet local and regional needs 发展中文教学材料以满足本地的需求;
3. Providing Chinese language assessment and testing opportunities in collaboration with Hanban 与汉办合作提供汉语评价和测试;
4. Offering Chinese language and cultural courses, workshops, and exhibitions to members of Brock University and the local community 为布鲁克大学和当地社区 提供中国语言和文化课程、讲座,以及展览;
5. Supporting Brock University, local schools, and individuals that are involved in teaching and learning Chinese language 积极支持布鲁克大学,当地的其它学校, 与个人从事的中文教学;
6. Participating and supporting international Chinese language promotion programs
(e.g., Chinese bridge competition) 积极参加和支持国际汉语推广项目 (如:汉语桥);
7. Supporting intercultural exchange programs related to Chinese language and culture for teachers, students, and other individuals 举办和协助与中国语言和文化 有关的跨文化交流项目;
8. Offering a series of quality and theme-based academic and professional presentations on Chinese culture for Brock University and local community 举办 中国语言和文化学术系列讲座;
9. Collaborating with Brock University faculty, staff, and student organizations to share and promote Chinese culture 与布鲁克大学教职员工和学生社团联合共同传 播和促进中国文化;
10. Cooperating with local community organizations to share and promote Chinese culture 与当地社区组织合作分享和促进中国文化;
11. Providing information and translation services to people who are interested in conducting educational, cultural, and economic business activities with China 提 供中国语言和文化方面的信息和翻译服务;
12. Providing educational and cultural development services between Niagara (Canada) and Fuzhou (China) 为加拿大尼亚加拉和中国福州两地提供教育和文化 等方面的交流与发展服务.
Mission statement of CI at Brock 使命
The mission of CI at Brock is to promote and share Chinese language and culture, help fulfil the strategic plan of Brock University, and enrich the multicultural society in Canada.
Values of CI at Brock 价值观
1. Mutual respect 相互尊重
2. Mutual understanding and appreciation 相互理解
3. Mutual benefits 互利
4. Collaboration 协作
5. Exchange and share 交换与分享
6. Harmony 和谐
^back to the top