The James A. Gibson Library is proud to be part of Brock’s university-wide commitment to provide facilities, programs and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
Please inquire at the Circulation Services Desk, Help Desk or contact the Coordinator, Library Accessibility, for help with the following:
- Assistance with book renewals and extended loan periods.
- Library tours or one-on-one assistance.
Library staff will retrieve material from the stacks when assistance is required. Depending on timing and staff availability, retrieval may be immediate or take up to 24 hours. For best results, use the "Request" button in the entry for the title in the catalogue. More information is available on the Book Retrieval Service
Alternate Format Material
Other Sources of Alternate Format Material
- Many of our books and journal articles are available in electronic format. Use SuperSearch to find electronic formats. Limit your search to eBooks and/or Electronic Resources.
Photocopying, Scanning and Printing
- Assistance is available in operating any library equipment. Please inquire either at Library Copying and Printing Services on Floor 5 or at Circulation Services on the Main Floor.
- Users with visual disabilities can arrange to have reserve materials or other articles photocopied or scanned in enlarged format for the self-serve price per copy.
One-Person Study Room
An individual study room on the 10th floor is reserved for use by students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities.
- Key available for check-out at the Circulation Services Desk.
- May be signed out for up to 4 hours at a time, with one renewal.
- This study room is not currently accessible to persons using mobility devices.
Accessible Teaching and Learning
- All entrances are equipped with automatic door operators.
- A variety of table heights and study space is available throughout the Library/Learning Commons.
- Desk height accessible counters are provided at the Circulation Services, Help and Learning Commons Reception desks.
- A magnifier is available for 4-hour loan at Circulation Services.
- Headphones are available for 4-hour loan at Circulation Services.
- A self-serve scanner is available on the main floor near the Help Desk. Scanning can also be done using any library photocopier.
- The library elevator services all library floors and is accessible.
In the Library, an accessible individual washroom equipped with a door operator is available on Floor 5, near the elevators. Outside of the Library, two accessible individual washrooms with power-operated doors are available next to the elevators in the Schmon Tower Lobby.
Support Persons & Service Animals
Service animals are permitted. Support persons are permitted to attend any event, workshop or service provided by the Library. Most of our services are free of charge, however, where charges do apply, service persons will be admitted free of charge.
Getting to the Library
The Library is located in the Schmon Tower (see map
). The main entrance is on the main level of the Tower.
Arriving by taxi or public transit to the main entrance at Schmon Tower
- Enter the Schmon Tower.
- From the Schmon Tower lobby, proceed left to enter the Library/Learning Commons.
- An additional entrance (the South Entrance) is accessible from the Thistle Corridor.
Arriving by car
- Enter the Brock campus from Glenridge Avenue.
- Accessible pay and display parking is provided in D LOT.
- Accessible permit parking is provided in A LOT. For more information about parking, please contact Parking Services.
- Follow the pedestrian walking path marked on this map to the Schmon Tower.