Library Services for Persons with Disabilities
The James A. Gibson Library is proud to be part of Brock’s university-wide commitment to provide facilities, programs and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
- Accessibility at Brock website provides information on policies and practices under way at Brock.
- The Library encourages all its staff and students to become aware of accessibility and stay up-to-date on accessibility practices and services.
Feedback is important — Brock invites comments and suggestions to assist the University in enhancing all areas of accessibility for faculty, staff, students and visitors. If you would like to provide feedback about accessibility, please complete the Ask the Library form or contact staff listed below.
Jennifer Thiessen, Coordinator, Library Accessibility
905-688-5550 ext. 3573
Deb Kalvee, Backup Coordinator
905-688-5550 ext. 3198
Please inquire at the Circulation Services Desk, Help Desk or contact the Coordinator, Library Accessibility, for help with the following:
- Assistance with book renewals and extended loan periods.
- Library tours or one-on-one assistance.
- Handouts and library promotional materials in alternate formats, upon request.
- Library staff at the Circulation Desk or Help Desk will retrieve material from the stacks when assistance is required. Depending on timing and staff availability, retrieval may be immediate or may take up to 24 hours. For best results, use the "Request" button in the entry for the title in the catalogue. More information is available on the Book Retrieval Service web page.
Photocopying, Scanning and Printing
- Assistance is available in operating any library equipment. Please inquire either at Library Copying and Printing Services on Floor 5 or at the Circulation Services Desk on the Main Floor.
- Users with visual disabilities can arrange to have reserve materials or other articles photocopied or scanned in enlarged format for the self-serve price per copy.
Library Copying and Printing Services
5th floor, James A. Gibson Library
905-688-5550, ext. 3263
One-Person Study Room
An individual study room on the 10th floor is reserved for use by students registered with Services for Students with Disabilities.
- Key available for check-out at the Circulation Services Desk.
- May be signed out for up to 4 hours at a time, with one renewal.
- This study room is not currently accessible to persons using mobility devices.
All entrances are equipped with automatic door operators.
- A variety of table heights and study space is available throughout the Library/Learning Commons.
- Desk height accessible counters are provided at the Circulation Services, Help and Learning Commons Reception desks.
- A magnifier is available for 4-hour loan at the Circulation Desk.
- A pair of headphones is available for 4-hour loan at the Circulation Desk.
- A self-serve scanner is available on the main floor near the Help Desk. Scanning can also be done using Library photocopiers.
- The library elevator services all library floors and is accessible.
- In the Library, an accessible individual washroom equipped with a door operator is available on Floor 5, near the elevators.
- Outside of the Library, two accessible individual washrooms with power-operated doors are available next to the elevators in the Schmon Tower Lobby.
Support Persons & Service Animals
Getting to the Library
- Enter the Schmon Tower.
- From the Schmon Tower lobby, proceed left to enter the Library/Learning Commons.
- An additional entrance (the South Entrance) is accessible from the Thistle Corridor.
Arriving by car
- Enter the Brock campus from Glenridge Avenue.
- Accessible pay and display parking is provided in D LOT.
- Accessible permit parking is provided in A LOT. For more information about parking, please contact Parking Services.
- Follow the pedestrian walking path marked on this map to the Schmon Tower.