Barbara J. McDonald
Librarians are actively engaged in developing an information architecture for the digital age. We focus our skills and values on ensuring longterm access to the record of scholarship. During 2014/15 I will be serving as Brock's Interim University Librarian.
- Brock University (July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015) Interim University Librarian - Welcome Message
- Brock University (March 1, 2010 - ) Associate University Librarian (Collections & Liaison Services)
- McMaster University (2000 - 2010): Scholarly Communication Librarian, Director of Liaison and Manager of Reference Services (Humanities & Social Sciences)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (1990 to 2000): Head of Lending Services, Library Instruction Coordinator and Information Services Librarian
- Philosophy of Librarianship Statement
- Selected Works
Continuing Education (Selected):
- University of Manitoba. CHERD. University Management Course (2013)
- ARL Service Quality Assessment Academy (2009)
- E-Publishing Summer School. University College, London (2010)
- Harvard Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians (2009)
- Northern Exposure to Leadership: an Institute by and for Canada's Library Leaders (1996)
Professional Contributions (Selected)
- OCUL Publishing/Hosting Community - Co-Founder/Moderator (With Andrea Kosavic, York) 2013-14
- CRL Certification Advisory Panel (appointed). Scholars Portal TDR Audit 2012 - 2013
- CRKN Perpetual Access Task Group (Appointed) 2011 - 2012
- OCUL Ad Hoc Quality Assurance and Learning Outcomes Working Group 2010 - 2014
- OCUL Information Resources Committee. Strategic Planning Subcommittee 2010 - 2012
Mentorship in Academic Libraries: A Universe of Possibilities” with Colleen MacKinnon and Susan Shepley. Ontario Library Association (OLA) Superconference. January 30, 2014
Sense Making and Solving Problems: Leveraging the View From the Balcony. With Catherine Davidson and Catherine Steeves. Ontario Library Association (OLA) Superconference. January 31, 2014.
The Mentoring Connection. (invited). With Terri Watman (Vaughan Public Libraries). Education Institute Webinar. June 20, 2013
TedxLibrariansTO. “Librarians as Thought Leaders.” Honoured Guest and Conversation Facilitator. University of Toronto. June 25, 2011.
Researching and Writing for Librarians. Co-Facilitator and Participant. McMaster. May 28-30, 2008.
Battle of the Brands: Reference e-Book Collection Development in a “Britannica vs. Wikipedia” World. Collections 2007, a CLA Preconference. St John’s NL, May 23, 2007.
The Mystery of the Disappearing Reference Collection. With K. Jane Burpee, University of Guelph Library. OLA Superconference. 2006.
St. John's InfoNET / FreeNet (founding member) 1993 – 2000
Thesis supervisor (with Dr. Ellen Balka) of Fiona MacGregor, Master of Women’s Studies Student. Thesis: Agents of Change: Women Creating Web Pages (1997 – 1999).
Project Librarian. Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). MUN/Universitas Indonesia Women’s Studies Project (1992 – 1997).
- Canadian Association of Learned Journals
- Ontario Library Association
- Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada (SWAAC)