Barbara J. McDonald
Librarians are actively engaged in developing an information architecture for the digital age. We focus our skills and values on ensuring longterm access to the record of scholarship.
My portfolio includes: Collections Services, Special Collections and Liaison Services. My colleagues and I work collaboratively with other library colleagues and campus partners. We:
- deliver critical scholarly information resources to the Brock community
- provide local and international researchers with digital access to our unique resources
- explore new modes of managing and disseminating digital scholarship:
- contribute to academic planning. Liaison librarians work with faculty to address degree level expectations related to finding, using and managing information effectively and ethically
- educate students and faculty on critical issues around scholarly information such as: how it is created and disseminated; social / economic construction of knowlege; legal and moral rights as users and creators.
- Brock University (March 1, 2010 - ) Associate University Librarian (Collections & Liaison Services)
- McMaster University (2000 - 2010): Scholarly Communication Librarian, Director of Liaison and Manager of Reference Services (Humanities & Social Sciences)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland (1990 to 2000): Head of Lending Services, Library Instruction Coordinator and Information Services Librarian
- Philosophy of Librarianship Statement
- Selected Works
Continuing Education (Selected):
- University of Manitoba. CHERD. University Management Course (2013)
- ARL Service Quality Assessment Academy (2009)
- E-Publishing Summer School. University College, London (2010)
- Harvard Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians (2009)
- Northern Exposure to Leadership: an Institute by and for Canada's Library Leaders (1996)
Professional Contributions (Selected)
- CRL Certification Advisory Panel (appointed). Scholars Portal TDR Audit 2012 - 2013
- CRKN Perpetual Access Task Group (Appointed) 2011 - 2012
- OCUL Ad Hoc Quality Assurance and Learning Outcomes Working Group 2010 - 2014
- OCUL Information Resources Committee. Strategic Planning Subcommittee 2010 - 2012
The Mentoring Connection. (invited). With Terri Watman (Vaughan Public Libraries). Education Institute Webinar. June 20, 2013
TedxLibrariansTO. “Librarians as Thought Leaders.” Honoured Guest and Conversation Facilitator. University of Toronto. June 25, 2011.
Researching and Writing for Librarians. Co-Facilitator and Participant. McMaster. May 28-30, 2008.
Battle of the Brands: Reference e-Book Collection Development in a “Britannica vs. Wikipedia” World. Collections 2007, a CLA Preconference. St John’s NL, May 23, 2007.
The Mystery of the Disappearing Reference Collection. With K. Jane Burpee, University of Guelph Library. OLA Superconference. 2006.
St. John's InfoNET / FreeNet (founding member) 1993 – 2000
Thesis supervisor (with Dr. Ellen Balka) of Fiona MacGregor, Master of Women’s Studies Student. Thesis: Agents of Change: Women Creating Web Pages (1997 – 1999).
Project Librarian. Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). MUN/Universitas Indonesia Women’s Studies Project (1992 – 1997).
- Canadian Association of Learned Journals
- Canadian Library Association
- Ontario Library Association
- Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada (SWAAC)
Barbara J. McDonald
Associate University Librarian
phone: 905.688.5550 x3949