Proof of English Language Proficiency
Master’s applicants who have not completed three or more years of post-secondary study, and doctoral applicants who have not completed two or more years of post-secondary study, at a Canadian institution or at an institution in one of the following exempt countries, will be required to provide proof of English language proficiency.
Applicants who are required to provide proof of English Language Proficiency must complete the English Language Proficiency (Self Report) form through their student portal account, as well as upload one of the accepted programs/tests listed below:
- Successful completion of Level 5 of the Brock Intensive English Language Program; or
- A minimum TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test) score of 550 plus 4.0 minimum for the TWE (Test of Written English), or TOEFL iBT (Internet based) minimum overall score of 80 with no sub-test score under 19; or
- A minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System – Academic (IELTS), with no section under 5.5; or
- A minimum overall score range of 520-545 (Range 2), with a minimum writing score of 225-235 on the Brock University International Test of English Language Proficiency (ITELP); or
- Achievement of an overall Band Score of 60, with 60 in writing, and no other under 50 on the Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL); or
- An average of at least 4.5 with no band score lower than 4.0 on the Can Test (Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees).
- Achievement of an overall score of at least 60, and no other communicative skill (listening, writing, speaking, and speaking) under 60 on Pearson Test of English (PTE) academic score report. Pearson can typically provide a test date within 48 hours. Contact them for more information.*Please note that tests must have been taken within the last two years to be considered and scores entered in the English Language Proficiency (Self Report) form must match the scores listed on the English Language Proficiency test that you upload.*Please do not request a hard copy of the test results be sent to Brock University. Please have the report sent directly to yourself and proceed with uploading a scanned copy to your Student Portal.
Please note that some graduate programs may require higher English language test scores or additional English language proficiency verification. Please refer to the specific program for this information.
Please note, the Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics Bridged entry route will only accept the following: TOEFL PBT 550, TOEFL CBT 213, TOEFL iBT 80, IELTS 6.5 with writing band 6.5 (no score under 5.5); ITELP 520 with writing of 225 (Brock University’s own language proficiency test).*
*Language of instruction waivers are not accepted for the MA Applied Linguistics (TESL) program.
Students admitted on the basis of an English Language Proficiency test are required to take the Brock University ITELP test upon arrival at the university as a condition of admission. The test results are emailed by the Faculty of Graduate Studies to the student, the graduate supervisor and the Graduate Program Director. The intent of this ELP assessment on arrival is to provide the student and the graduate program with an early indication of the graduate student’s English language capability as he/she enters the graduate program. It is up to the program and the student to review the results and to determine and implement any required or suggested student-specific ELP remediation or support.
Applicants who have completed the required years of post-secondary work in English, at an institution where English was not the only language of instruction, may request a waiver of the English Proficiency Test submission requirements. Applicants requesting an English Language Proficiency waiver must also additionally upload an English Language Proficiency Waiver Letter from the University at which they completed their most recent degree (undergraduate or graduate) verifying that the language of instruction for that degree program was English. It should be noted that, in order to maintain a high academic standard, very few waivers are granted. It is recommended that all applicants for whom English is not their first language upload an English Proficiency Test result with their application. If your waiver is denied you must upload an English Proficiency Test to be considered for admission. In all cases of requests for a waiver, the Faculty of Graduate Studies, in consultation with the graduate program, will make the final determination. You may submit your request for a waiver and monitor the status of your request via the “Go to form” button next to the “English Proficiency (Self Report)” document in the Document Status channel of your Brock Portal account.