- About Us
- Departments and Centres
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Centre for Biotechnology
- Centre for Neuroscience
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Physics
- Science Stores
- Academic Programs
- Contact Us
Honours, Awards and Special Invitations Archive
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Honours, Awards and Special Invitations Archive
Graduate Student Ke Zhao (MSc, June 2008) is the recipient of the Faculty of Mathematics and Science Distinguished Graduating Student Award for the Spring 2008 Convocation.
Xiaojian Xu and Mei Ling Huang represented the Statistical Society of Canada at the Associations Night in the Pond Inlet hosted by the Co-op Programs Office. (October 29, 2007). More information can be found here.
The Survey Methods Section of the Statistical Society of Canada is pleased to announce that Xiaojian Xu from the University of Alberta (currently Assistant Professor at Brock University, St. Catherine’s, ON) has won the 2006 award for her paper co-authored with Pierre Lavallée from Statistics Canada entitled “Treatments for Link Nonresponse in Indirect Sampling”. The complete article can be found here.
- Hichem Ben-El-Mechaiekh has been nominated as an Associate Editor on the editorial board of the Journal Fixed Point Theory and Applications, Hindawi Publishing Corporation.
- Hichem Ben-El-Mechaiekh has been appointed Associate Editor for the Journal of Fixed Point Theory and Applications published by Birkhäuser, Basel - Boston - Berlin
- Students with the highest standing in either a first Honours (four-year) or pass (three-year) degree in each Faculty received a Dean's Medal for academic excellence. The 2007 recipient for the Faculty of Mathematics and Science was Colin Phipps of Jordan, Ont. Colin completed his Honours degree in Mathematics integrated with Computers and Applications with a Concentration in Pure Mathematics
- William Marshall of Welland, Ont., Honours Bachelor of Science in Mathematics Integrated with Computers and Applications with a Concentration in Statistics is the Undergraduate recipient of the 2007 Board of Trustees Spirit of Brock Medal for the Faculty of Mathematics and Science.
"The Brock University Board of Trustees created this award in order to pay special recognition to the outstanding achievements and contributions of Brock students graduating at Convocation," says David S. Howes, Chair, Brock University Board of Trustees. "The qualities that these students represent exemplify the best and the brightest that Brock has to offer."
- In December 2006, Henryk Fukœ, together with Prof. Anna Lawniczak of the University of Guelph, obtained a grant from the Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences, to organize the 13th International Workshop on Cellular Automata (AUTOMATA 2007). The workshop will be held at The Fields Institute in August 2007.
- One of the two Governor General's Silver Medals awarded to graduate Tom Farrar, Honours Bachelor of Science - Mathematics Integrated with Computers and Applications (MICA), concentration in statistics, at the 2006 Fall Convocation ceremony, taking place on Saturday, Oct. 21. ...more...
- On May 31, 2005, Henryk Fukœ won the Faculty Award of Excellence for Teaching.
- Eric Muller is spending six months as a Visiting Scholar with PREL (Pacific Resources for Education and Learning). Based in Honolulu, Eric is working with two and four year college mathematics departments in Guam, Palau, and the Hawaiian, Micronesian, and Marshall Islands. At the beginning of May he returned briefly to Canada to participate in the Mathematics Education Forum and to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Ontario Association of Mathematics Education.
- One of the two Dean's Medals for outstanding performance will be awarded to Kevin Arthur Bayne, Honours in Mathematics and BSc/BEd, at the June 9 2004 convocation.
- The winners the J. W. Reed Book Prize Award in Mathematics are Annette Barichello and Kevin Bayne. The award is given to the female and male graduating students with the highest GPA. Both Annette and Kevin completed a BSc/BEd and returned to the department to complete an honours in Mathematics.
- Bill Ralph is the winner the Mathematical Association of America Seaway Section Distinguished Teaching Award Winner this year. The award was presented at the Seaway Section Meeting at SUNY Cortland on April 23, 2004. The award
"... recognize(s) and celebrate(s) a dedicated mentor remembered by his students for taking them on a transcendental Journey into the beautiful world of Mathematics, a creative Curriculum Developer, an Artist Mathematician, and a Teacher Extraordinaire." (Excerpts from the nomination letter).
- Mei Ling Huang will be awarded the Faculty of Mathematics and Science Distinguished Teaching Award at the Convocation Dinner on June 8, 2004. The award is a testimony that:
"... Mei Ling is a great teacher because of her human qualities and precisely because, being a realist, she sees students as human beings. She is totally dedicated to her students' success; she believes in people's abilities to overcome difficulties, bridge gaps through hard work, and achieve their best. All of her students praise her patience, availability and receptiveness. They all sense and appreciate her inclusive approach to teaching: it consists in bringing the knowledge to the level of students, making them feel confident and capable, then raising the level to the required standards. What is amazing is that it works
Colloquium Talk: Dr. Gokhan Yildirim (York University)
November 20, 2015 - 11:00am - 12:00pm
Fields-Brock Transdisciplinary Distinguished Lecture Series: Dr. Nancy Reid
November 5, 2015 - 5:00pm - 6:30pm
Math Ed Seminar Series @ Brock: Amy Lin
October 19, 2015 - 11:00am - 12:00pm