- About Us
- Departments and Centres
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Centre for Biotechnology
- Centre for Neuroscience
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Physics
- Science Stores
- Academic Programs
- Contact Us
Gregory C. Finn
Department of Earth Sciences
Gregory C. Finn
Associate Professor, Vice Provost & Associate Vice-President Academic
Precambrian geologist by training, now working in administration, outreach activities and science education. Greg Finn became Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President, Academic in September 2007. He first joined Brock in 1985 as a lecturer in Geological Sciences, and after completing his PhD at Memorial University in 1989 was appointed assistant professor. He has also served Brock as Associate Dean in the Faculty of Mathematics and Science (2003-2007) and chair of the Department of Earth Sciences (1996-2002).
This position primarily focuses on matters related to undergraduate students and their academic programs. As such, Finn sits on a number of Senate committees which relate to undergraduate affairs as a representative of Senior Administration.
He serves as Acting Provost in the absence of the Provost, and also serves on the Committee of Academic Deans and the Council of Academic Administrators.
Finn has also been involved in education at the provincial and national levels. He has been president of both the Science Teachers' Association of Ontario and the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario, and was Ontario Councillor of the Canadian Council of Professional Geoscientists.
- 2007–present: Vice Provost and Associate Vice-President Academic
- 2003 to 2007: Associate Dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Science
- 1996–2002: Chair, Department of Earth Sciences
- 1995–present: Associate Professor, Department of Earth Sciences
- 1989–1995: Assistant Professor, Department of Earth Sciences
- 1986–1989: Lecturer, Department of Geological Sciences
- P.Geo. – Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario
- Ph.D. – Memorial University of Newfoundland
- M.Sc. – The University of Western Ontario
- B.Sc. (Honours) – Queen’s University
- Finn, G.C. 2010. A Canadian Perspective on the ASBOG Task Analysis Survey 2010 Results. Geological Society of America, Fall Meeting, Denver CO.
- Finn, G.C. and Bonham, Oliver, 2010. Canadian Consensus Documentation for Registration of Professional Geoscientists. Geological Society of America, Fall Meeting, Denver CO.
- Finn, G.C. and Bonham, Oliver, 2010. Geoscience Knowledge and Experience Requirements for Professional Registration in Canada. Euro-Ages Conference, Budapest, Hungary, October 2010.
- Finn, G.C., 2008. Minerals in Your Life. Science Teachers' Association of Ontario Annual Conference STAO '08, Toronto, Ontario.
- Finn, G.C., 2006. Recruiting your Replacement - Linking Earth Science from High School to Professional Registration, Progress in Ontario. Geological Society of America, Fall Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Finn, G.C., 2005. Lessons learned from visits to Grade 4 classrooms. Geological Association of Canada/Mineralogical Association of Canada, Annual Meeting, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Finn, G.C., 2003. Rock 'n' Mineral Treasures. Earth and Space Week at the Ontario Science Centre, Toronto, Ontario. October 22, 2003.
- Finn, G.C., 2003. Minerals in Your Life. Science Teachers’ Association of Ontario Annual Conference STAO ’03, Toronto Ontario.
- Finn, G.C., 2001.Structure of the Earth: Seismicity and Plate Tectonics. Science Teachers’ Association of Ontario Annual Conference STAO ’01, Toronto Ontario.
- President, Geoscientists Canada, June 2011 to June 2012
- Member, Executive Committee, Geoscientists Canada, June 2010 to June 2012
- Ontario Director, Geoscientists Canada, June 2009 to June 2010
- Chair, Canadian Geoscience Standards Board (CGSB), November 2008 to December 2010
- Ontario Representative, CGSB, July 2004 to present
- President, Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (APGO), June 2008 to June 2009
- Member, Executive Committee, APGO, June 2007 to June 2010
- Councillor-at-Large, Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario, Elected to one year term ending June 3 2004
- Councillor, Transitional Council of the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (August 2000 to May 2003) Appointed by Honorable Tim Hudak, Minister of Northern Development and Mines
- Councillor, Geological Association of Canada (GAC), May 2005 to 2008
- Chair, Science Program Committee, (GAC), May 2005 to 2008
- Member, Executive Committee, (GAC), May 2005 to 2008
- President, Science Teachers Association of Ontario (STAO), 2000-2001
- Past-President, STAO (September 2001 to present)
- Treasurer, STAO, (January 2004 to August 2007)
Conferences, symposia and workshops
- Technical Program Chair, St. Catharines 2004, GAC-MAC Joint Annual Meeting, May 12-14, 2004
Promotion of all aspects of science, in general, and earth science, in particular, through classroom visits, and working with elementary and secondary school teachers, curriculum developers.