- About Us
- Departments and Centres
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Centre for Biotechnology
- Centre for Neuroscience
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Physics
- Science Stores
- Academic Programs
- Contact Us
Department of Earth Sciences
Clastic sedimentology with an interest in experimental sedimentology and the sedimentology of shallow marine storm deposits.
- February 2010-December 2011: Interim Dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Science, Brock University.
- September 2007-February 2010: Associate Dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Science, Brock University.
- June 2001–June 2003: Vice Chair, Senate, Brock University.
- June 1996–June 1997: Vice Chair, Senate, Brock University.
- July 1996–July 1997: Acting Dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Science, Brock University.
- 1995–1996: Chair, Department of Earth Sciences, Brock University.
- 1994 to present: Professor of Earth Sciences, Brock University.
- July 1994–December 1994: Acting Dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Science, Brock University.
- 1991–1994: Chair, Department of Earth Sciences, Brock University.
- 1990–1994: Associate Professor, Brock University.
- 1986–1990: Assistant Professor, Brock University.
- 1983–1984: Assistant Professor of Geology, Brandon University, Brandon, Manitoba.
- Ph.D. McMaster University, 1984
- M.Sc. University of Ottawa, 1980
- B.A. McMaster University, 1977
- ERSC/GEOG 2P16 Introduction to Clastic Sedimentology
Rick is currently conducting studies of the formation of current crescents in response to unidirectional flow over obstacles on a sand bed. Using his 10-metre recirculating sediment flume, he is examining the effects of flow depth and velocity and obstacle diameter on the morphology of the resulting current crescents.
Graduate Student Supervision
- Mike Johnson ( Brock University)
- Tony Benincasa ( Brock University)
- Sean Mcfarland ( Brock University)
- Jens Paterson ( Brock University)
Articles in Books
- Cheel, R.J., 2003. Hummocky Cross-Stratification. Invited contribution to The Encyclopedia of Sediment and Sedimentary Rocks , G.V. Middleton, Editor. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 362–364.
- Cheel, R.J., 2003. Heavy Mineral Shadows. Invited contribution to The Encyclopedia of Sediment and Sedimentary Rocks , G.V. Middleton, Editor. Kluwer Academic Publishers, p. 355–356.
- Cheel, R.J. , 2003. Parting lineation and current crescents. In The Encyclopedia of Sediment and Sedimentary Rocks , G.V. Middleton, Editor. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 512–514.
- Alexander J., J.S. Bridge, R.J. Cheel, and S.F. LeClair, 2001. Bed forms and associated sedimentary structures formed under supercritical water flows over aggrading sand beds. Sedimentology , 48: 133–152.
- McFarland S., Westrop S.R. and R.J. Cheel, 1999. Allogenic versus autogenic processes in the genesis of Middle Ordovician brachiopod-rich shell beds, Verulam Formation, Ontario. Palaios , 14: 282–287.
- Leckie, D.A., and Cheel, R.J., 1997, Sedimentology and depositional history of the Lower Cretaceous Coarse-grained clastics, southwest Alberta and southeast British Columbia: Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists, Bulletin , 45: 1–24.
- Paterson, J. and Cheel, R.J., 1997. The depositional history of the Bloomington complex, an ice-contact deposit in the Oak Ridges Moraine, southern Ontario, Canada. Quaternary Science Reviews , p. 705–719.
- Associate Dean, Faculty of Mathematics and Science.
International committees and editorial boards
- Member of the Editorial Board for Sedimentology (the journal of the International Association of Sedimentologists), 1999-2001.
- Invited contributor of terms for sedimentary structures and textures to the Glossary of Geology (5 th Edition, 2005) published by the American Geoscience Institute in 2005.
Conferences, symposia and workshops
- Registration Chair, Geological Association of Canada/Mineralogical Association of Canada Annual Meeting, 2004.