Temporary Resident (Entry) Visa
Temporary Resident (Entry) Visa or TRV
In addition to a Study Permit, citizens of certain countries require a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) to enter Canada.
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV): A document that allows you to enter Canada. It is the shiny foil sticker in your passport and is a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa.
- The expiry date on the TRV indicates the deadline date that you have to enter Canada. It is not the last day that you are allowed to stay in Canada.
- The TRV does not need to be renewed when it expires unless you are planning to leave and then re-enter Canada.
- If you are holding a valid Study Permit (or Work Permit) to Canada, you do not need a TRV to come back to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and you return before the expiry date of your Study Permit or Work Permit. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5552ETOC.asp
- If you do not have a TRV in your passport, you may be from a country that is exempt from applying for a TRV. Check to see if you need a TRV.
CIC pilot project for the issuance of temporary resident counterfoils for clients residing in Canada and holding valid study or work permits (Ottawa - effective May 29, 2012):
- Forms and document checklist http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/ottawa.asp
- Detailed mailing instruction http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/cpp-o-apply.asp
NOTE:You must download the most current form. Complete the application form on computer and validate and print out with the bar code page. You need to validate it everytime you have made any changes. Any outdated forms will be rejected.
Include a letter explaining your situation with your application. Sample letter:
(Immigraiton Canada office address)
RE: Application for a Multiple Entry Visa (or a Single Entry Visa)
I am presently a student in the Faculty of (________________) at the Brock University, Canada. I have a Study Permit that expires on (__________________). My Visa expired on (________________). I am applying for a new Multiple Entry Visa (or Single Entry Visa) that will expire on the same date as my Study Permit.
My application package includes a pre-paid envelope for return of my documents.
Thank you for your consideration.