Study Permit

Study Permit

In Canada, a Study Permit is necessary for any non-resident person studying for a period longer than six months. Even if you plan on studying in Canada for less than six months, you may want to apply for a Study Permit in case you decide to extend your studies at a later date or would like to look for an on campus job. This is especially useful for short term exchange students.

Study Permit sample - new version 2013

Information about obtaining your Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

Renewing your Study Permit 

If you are applying to renew your study permit, CIC will ask you for a "Letter of Acceptance”. This is a letter from Brock University to confirm your current registration and the date on which you will complete your studies.

Undergraduate students can download the request form at: 
Please select the Visa Extension on the request form or go to the Registrar’s office: Schmon Tower 301

Graduate students can download the request form at:
Please select Verification of Status Form from the above website and then check the "Confirmation of Enrolment"on the form or go to the Faculty of Graduate Studies office: Mackenzie Chown Complex D250

ESL/IELP students should request Attendance Confirmation from ESL services office at IC217 in International Centre building.

Designated Learning Institutions 

You will need to input Designated Learning Institution number in the application. The number can be found online at:

Brock is: O19394569014

Notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) when you change institutions