Post Graduation Work Permit

Post Graduation Work Permit

This program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Post-Graduate Work Permit online application instructions (pdf)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada:


Please Note:

  • You must submit your application for a work permit within 90 days, starting from the day when your final marks are issued. In cases where the final graduation requirement is a thesis, the 90-day period starts when you have defended your thesis, and the final draft of the thesis has been accepted. NOTE: The 90-day time period is NOT calculated from the Convocation date or the expiry date of the Study Permit.
  • You must have a letter to confirm you have completed all requirements for your degree:
  • You must have a valid study permit to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit. Your Work Permit will not be extended past the expiry date of your passport.
  • If you have completed a program of study that is a two year program or longer, you will be eligible for a PGWP that allows you to work in Canada for 3 years. If you have completed a program of study that is between 8 to 23 months you will be eligible for a work permit that is equivalent in length to the duration of your program.
    • For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria.
    • If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.