Working in Canada and CIC Permanent Resident Programs
Work Opportunities for International Students - No Work Permit Required
On-Campus Working - A full-time student with a valid Study Permit can work on campus without a Work Permit. There is no hour limit for working on campus. You need to maintain full-time study.
Off-Campus Working - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp
To look for on campus jobs: http://www.brocku.ca/career-services/students-alumni
Volunteer Work - Check immigration Canada website on how "Volunteer activities" are defined. Some volunteer positions require a Work Permit even if there is no pay.
Work Opportunities for International Students - Work Permit Required
- Co-op or Internship Program: The co-op/internship work permit is fee-exempt. You cannot start your work term until you have been issued the appropriate Work Permit. Your application must include a letter (issued by Co-op or Internship office) that clearly indicates the work is a mandatory component of the academic program which all participants are expected to complete in order to receive their degree. The Co-op Work Permit is only valid for work with the company where you have been assigned to do your work term. It is not valid for any other off-campus work. NOTE: There is no restriction on holding more than one Work Permit.
Co-op/internship work permit application can be completed online.
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP): If you have recently completed your degree requirements you may apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
- Spouses of Students - If you have a valid Study Permit, your spouse does not require HRSDC Confirmation when applying for an open Work Permit. It can be done online through CIC online application.
How much does the Work Permit application cost?
CIC Work and Permanent Resident Programs
- Work programs for International Students in Canada
- Travel and Work in Canada
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program Information from Human Resources Social Development Canada (HRSDC). Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion
Applying for Permanent Residence Status
- Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program
- Canadian Experience Class
- Canadian Skilled Worker
- Find Application Forms and Guides