Inviting parents, relatives or friends to visit Canada

Inviting parents, relatives or friends to visit Canada

If your family or friends wish to visit you in Canada for your Convocation or just for a vacation, they need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) at their closest Canadian Consulate. For a list of countries whose citizens require a TRV to enter Canada, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website at: For full instructions on how the apply for a TRV, please visit:

On the Canadian Consulate's visiting visa instruction page, you will find list of documents required from the "applicant" (the person you are inviting), and from the "inviter"(you).

In order to assist your family/friends with their TRV application, you should send them the following supporting documents:

  1. Invitation Letter written by you:
    Note: University does not provide an invitation letter for your relatives or friends as they are not invited by university. As the "inviter" you write this invitation letter. Follow the guide from Immigration Canada on how to prepare your invitation letter:
  2. Photocopy of your Study Permit (or Work Permit)
  3. Proof of your current registration (Proof of Enrollment or Eligibility/Confirmation of Graduation)
    Undergraduate Students request this letter from: Registrar's Office  and Graduate Students from: Faculty of Graduate Studies
  4. Photocopy of your passport 

All the above are generally required by Canadian Consulates overseas for "inviters". There could be more detailed instruction from local responsible visa offices. It is very important that you check that local Canadian Consulate's website and follow the full instructions.