Spouses and New Families

Spouses and New Families



Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students with Study Permits are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada.

This exemption applies to spouses who are not themselves enrolled in full-time studies. Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.
For information see:


Many people who come to Canada temporarily to work or study want to be able to educate their accompanying minor children here.

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

  • minor children attending kindergarten;
  • minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
  • minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying

For more information see:

Canada Child Tax Benefit

The Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18.

Recipients must meet the following criteria:

  • be the primary caregivers of a child under age 18
  • be Canadian residents
  • be, or have a spouse or common-law partner that is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or a protected person or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months

Please visit Service Canada for more information.


Minor children accompanying their parents who are in Canada on a study permit or a work permit may not be charged tuition fees.

Information about tuition fees is available at the Government of Ontario e-laws website.

For information about schools in the Niagara please see the website for the District School Board of Niagara or the Niagara Catholic School Board.

For daycare information, click here.

Finding ESL Classes


Ways to get involved


Rules and Regulations in Canada:
Some simple laws may be different from your home country. Now that you have moved to Canada, it is important to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations of Canada.

  • A child under the age of 16 is not allowed to be left unattended at home. The child must either go to daycare or have a babysitter.  Please visit The Development of Settlement Org.
  • Effective December 1, 2006, in Ontario, every person travelling in a motor vehicle must wear a seat belt or use a child safety seat. Drivers are responsible for ensuring that passengers under 16 years of age are using the seat belt or an appropriate child car seat proper. For more information, please visit Ministry of Transportation.
  • In Ontario, it is the law that every cyclist under the age of 18 must wear an approved bicycle helmet.  For more information, please visit Ontario’s Guide to Safe Cycling and The Helmet Law in Ontario.
  • Under the law, a driver or passenger smoking in a motor vehicle, while someone else under the age of 16 is present, is committing an offence, and can be fined up to $250. For more information, please visit Smoking in Cars.
  • According to Ontario law, children must go to school from age 6 to 18. For more information, please visit Ministry of Education and The Development of Settlement Org.
  • Health Insurance UHIP - Dependent Coverage