Teaching English

Teaching English

The most popular type of overseas employment for Canadian graduates is teaching. There are two types of opportunities available: teaching in a public or private school and teaching English-as-a-Second Language, often in a private English language school.

If you have a BEd and teaching experience, you could teach in an International school. These schools can be found worldwide and are designed to teach a common curriculum to children of expatriates (business executives, diplomats, aid workers). You can find more information from the European Council of International Schools and the International Schools Services. You could also find employment via some of the NGOs listed below or via country recruiters. In the past, for example, the UK and New Zealand have recruited in Canada.

How to Become Certified to Teach English as a Second Language?

Brock University has an excellent post-graduate certificate in TESL and a MA in TESL. The most common TESL qualification programs are from the UK and the US. The Cambridge/RSA Certificate (CELTA) & Trinity Certificate in TESOL are the most highly recognized worldwide. They are intensive one month courses in EFL methodology, grammar, and practice teaching. Canadian qualification Centre are: Atlantic Overseas Teaching Institute, Halifax; Canadian Global TESOL Training Institute, Edmonton; Languages International (Toronto) Inc.; and University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon. Additionally, an increasing number of universities and colleges are offering undergrad, grad, and year-long certificate courses. 

There are many programs and providers to choose from, so do diligent research to find the one that is best for you. Ask yourself the following questions:

  1. Is the program and certificate recognized abroad?
  2. What are the qualifications of the instructors?
  3. What is the class size?  
  4. Is there an opportunity for practice teaching?
Here are some websites to help you get started:
There are also many recruitment agencies for teachers. Some are better than other, so you should do your homework. Here are a few of the more popular ones:
Teaching Assistant In Spain (from Embassy of Spain)