Brock University offers wireless Internet access across campuses in St. Catharines and Hamilton. Over the last five years, ITS has been deploying wireless access points throughout both campuses that supports roaming and the 802.11a/b/g standard over a secure or open connection.
Students, faculty and staff may use the wireless network just about anywhere on either campus, excluding residences, with a laptop or PDA. The focus of the wireless network has been on the teaching and learning spaces; however, areas such as cafeterias, hallways and lounges now also have wireless access.
- Eduroam Setup
- Connecting to BrockSecure on Windows XP
- Connecting to BrockSecure on Windows Vista
- Connecting to BrockSecure on Windows 7
- Connecting to BrockSecure on a Macintosh OS X 10.5 -10.8
- Connecting to BrockSecure on a Macintosh OS X 10.4 or lower
- Connecting to BrockNet on a PC (unsecure)
Using a mobile device? Check our mobile device page for more information.
- Please note that the login information used for connecting is automatically stored onto the Operating System. This means that if you successfully connect to the network, then every time you reboot your machine, Windows XP will try to connect you to the secure network automatically with the correct information. You do not have to retype your login information in order to gain access.
- Since your login information is being stored on the local drive, your friends will be able to log onto the wireless network as you if you loan them your laptop. You will also need to change your password if the laptop has been stolen or lost to ensure security access on your account to the secure wireless network.
- A computer, which meets the minimum requirements, with a 802.11a/b/g wireless card. It is your responsibility to have the proper wireless drivers for your wireless card. Minimum assistance will be provided in these cases.
- For faculty/staff/students, use your portal username and password (student account will look like aa64aa, faculty/staff account is your first initial and last name - jsmith). You may receive assistance with this procedure by calling the HelpDesk at extension 4357.
- Make sure that you are situated within range of a hot spot or access point.
- Open your browser and attempt to go to a website. You will be redirected to the registration page if you have not already been recently authenticated.
- Enter your portal username and password, which will be the same as your my.brocku.ca account information.
- Once authenticated, you will be taken to the original web site you had selected in #3 above.
- Click Start/Control Panel
- Double Click Network Connections
- Right Click Wireless Internet Connection and select Properties
If you do not see Wireless Internet Connection, click on Network Connections and return to step 3
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click on Properties
- Make sure that Obtain an IP address automatically is selected
- Make sure that Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected
- Click on OK
- Click on OK
- Return to top of page and follow steps
- Click Start and open the Control Panel
- The Control Panel will open, in the top left corner be sure that Classic View is selected
- Double click on the Network and Sharing Center icon
- In the top left corner click on 'Manage network connections'
- The Network Connections panel will open, right click on your wireless connection and click on Properties
- The Properties for that connection will appear, click (but DO NOT uncheck) 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' then click Properties
- Under the General tab, be sure that 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' are both selected
- Click on OK
- Click on Close