- Departments & Centres
- Applied Linguistics
- Dramatic Arts
- English Language and Literature
- Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Visual Arts
- Centre for Canadian Studies
- Centre for Digital Humanities
- Centre for Intercultural Studies
- Centre for Liberal Arts
- Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Centre for Studies in Arts and Culture
- Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts
- ART CENTRE
- Rodman Hall Art Centre
- Degree Programs
- Students in the Humanities
- Centre for Digital Humanities
- Dean's Conference Travel Grant
- Fulbright Visiting Research Chair
- Humanities Research Institute
- HRI Mandate and Structure
- HRI Membership
- HRI Funding
- HRI Conferences and Symposia
- Conferences and Symposia 2000 - 2001
- Conferences and Symposia 2002 - 2003
- Conferences and Symposia 2004 - 2005
- Conferences and Symposia 2005 - 2006
- Conferences and Symposia 2006 - 2007
- Conferences and Symposia 2007 - 2008
- Conferences and Symposia 2008 - 2009
- Conferences and Symposia 2009 - 2010
- Conferences and Symposia 2010 - 2011
- Conferences and Symposia 2011 - 2012
- Conferences and Symposia 2012 - 2013
- HRI Associates
- HRI Graduate Student Associates
- HRI Annual Report 2012-13
- HRI Awards
- HRI Forms and Deadlines
- The Brock Review
- Contact Us
Faculty of Humanities
Benvenuti / Welcome to Italian Studies
The Italian Studies Program at Brock is designed to help you develop written and spoken competence in the language and to introduce you to the rich and vast world of Italian culture. The program delivers a wide variety of language courses, from beginner to advanced, including translation theory and practice, Italian regionalism, and pedagogy (language teaching). The program also offers courses in Italian literature, culture, cinema, art and architecture, some of which are offered in English to accommodate non-Majors. You are exposed to great writers, artists and filmmakers such as Dante, Petrarca, Machiavelli, Pirandello, Eco, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raffaello, De Sica, Fellini and Bertolucci. The small, upper-year classes and state-of-the-art multimedia classrooms ensure a unique, optimal and personalized learning experience. In addition to the courses taught in Italian, the Department offers a series of courses taught in English (designated SCLC) that may be acceptable for credit toward a degree in Italian.
The Italian Section of the Department of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures offers a Summer Studies Program in Italy, available for both Majors and non-Majors. Furthermore, the Section facilitates the taking of courses, on letter of permission, in Italy offered by other Canadian universities. Students may also take language courses through the Università per Stranieri di Siena, Tuscany (University for Foreigners).
For those looking for financial assistance, there are a number of scholarships, bursaries and awards for Italian Majors. In addition, work experience in senior years is also available. You may be eligible to work at Brock or as a teacher or assistant in Italian classes for children in the local school board (International Languages Program).
The following programs are offered:
- 3 yr BA
- 4 yr BA Honours, Combined Major only
- Minor in Italian (A Minor in Italian is available if you wish to obtain an overview of Italian while pursuing your degree in another subject).
ITAL 3Q90 Translating and Interpreting in the Community: An Internship
Translation and language use for special purposes in the community. Areas include health care, tourism, wine industry, judicial services, as well as business. Course is combined with a part-time internship in a business where Italian is used.
Students will be placed in the community for experiential learning.
Tutorial, 1.5 hour per week, plus internship placement time. Participation in an orientation to the co-op experience, goal setting, resume preparation, interview skills preparation.
Prerequisites: ITAL 2F00, ITAL 2P90 or permission of the instructor.
Note: enrolment will be limited to the number of placements available
- Italian Studies Program, University Undergraduate Calendar
- ITALIAN COURSES OFFERED DURING FALL-WINTER 2013-14
ITAL 3M50 trip to Rome
Closing Reception of art show "In the Park the Horses Didn't Mind"
March 7, 2014 - 7:00pm - 10:00pm
“In the park, the horses didn’t mind” - A COLLECTIVE PROJECT
February 20, 2014 - 12:00pm - March 7, 2014 - 10:00pm
My time studying in the Department of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures was very positive, as I was offered a very well-rounded education in the Humanities that allowed me to greatly improve my linguistic competence in both French and Italian[...]. I was also able to spend my 3rd year studying abroad at the Université de Savoie in France! I am now off to do my masters in European Studies and owe everything to Brock’s Modern Languages Department. If you are a student looking to immerse yourself in European culture and civilization, Brock is the place for you!
-- Mike Gicante, 2012