Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
The Administrative Assistant provides central telephone and in-person reception to the Office of the President; the Office of the Vice President, Finance and Administration; the Office of Vice-President, Research; the Office of the Provost and Vice President, Academic; Vice-Provost Teaching and Learning; and other Senior Executive staff as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Greeting and speaking with senior administrators, Board of Trustee members, Donors and outside community members, as well as faculty, staff and students
• Responding and screening general inquiries by phone, email and in-person
• Providing general clerical support including word processing, proofreading correspondence, photocopying, and assisting with mass mail-outs
• Opening, sorting, date stamping, tracking and distributing mail
• Maintaining office supplies including stationery, photocopy supplies etc.
• Managing all relevant office equipment, ordering, processing of forms, purchase orders, and supplies
• R.S.V.P. on behalf of the President to various event invitations, done in collaboration with the Event Planner &amp; Assistant to the President
• Coordinating purchasing of tables at community events (e.g. United Way function); processing payments, distributing tickets to attendees, keeping track of financial information and number of attendees
• Maintaining vacation reporting for 13th floor administrative roles
• Collecting material as advised by the Event Planner &amp; Assistant to the President and distribute agendas for various meetings as directed
• Liaising with other administrative support positions on the 13th floor to ensure open communication (e.g. updating colleagues regarding policy changes etc.)
• Acting as a centralized resource for documentation of 13th floor (e.g. board meeting minutes)
• Reconciling monthly operating accounts for the Office of the President
• Preparing cheque requisitions and purchase orders
• Maintaining financial records, monitor and reconcile budget accounts and follow up on any discrepancies (e.g. Finance, Procurement, 13th floor staff)
• Highlighting and/or summarizing potential issues when comparing actual vs. budget account totals/year to date other 13th floor staff
• Maintaining and tracking records related to the purchase of equipment and materials
• Collecting data and summarize financial information as requested for mid-year submissions.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Related post-secondary courses in accounting, computer applications and other administrative courses, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Several years of related experience in an administrative or financial administrative support capacity (preferably in a university or similar environment) or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Proven ability to prioritize work and demonstrated experience organizing financial information and providing guidance on financial protocols
• Thorough knowledge and proficiency in standard office computer applications including word processing, databases, spreadsheets and email
• Proven ability to keep accurate records, coordinate calendars, create forms and organize financial information
• Demonstrated ability to proofread with a keen eye for detail
• Proven ability to communicate effectively with all contacts and stakeholders, exercising strong judgement, tact and strong customer service skills
• Demonstrated ability to research information, utilizing all resources available including internal and external contacts
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by January 6, 2014.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.