Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
The quality of communications generated by this high-impact position will substantially influence how internal and external audiences perceive the integrity of the University and its effectiveness as a centre of academic and research excellence, and as a community partner.
The Writer/Web Editor is responsible for maintaining high-profile institutional pages of the University website for current, compelling and accurate content, thereby creating an excellent first impression with all audiences. The incumbent acts as the primary editor/writer for the Brock News online faculty-staff newsletter, generating text and photos for the web that can also be repurposed for such uses as press releases and story pitches to news media outlets. Additionally, the incumbent provides web support for University faculty and staff who require advice or guidance on developing and migrating content for faculty and department web pages.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Working collaboratively with the Advancement team, the President’s office, and others to ensure that the brocku.ca homepage and institutional pages are updated and enhanced to support University objectives
• Editing and managing the Brock News online faculty-staff newsletter by generating text and photos on diverse topics ranging from student activities to significant University issues and human-interest stories about members of the Brock community
• Providing coaching and guidance on writing content, organization of web pages and information for faculty and department web editors
• Performing testing and quality assurance for all web pages prior to implementation
• Collaborating with University Communications colleagues to cover newsworthy campus events and situations, and creating content that can be used as internal Communications material, media releases, online publication, social media and other communiques
• Regularly monitoring and reviewing University webpages/websites and communicating with faculty and department web editors regarding content and presentation issues and opportunities
• Working with Alumni Relations, taking a lead role in the storyboarding, editing and production of Surgite alumni magazine
• Developing and maintaining content templates and an end-user guide for content editors
• Contributing to rich media programming decisions and working collaboratively with others in University Communications and marketing to create, develop, and implement media programs that will broaden the exposure of the University and convey messages that enhance Brock’s reputation
• Providing colour correction, cropping and photo uploads, as required
The ideal candidate will have:
• An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Journalism, Communications, Multi-media ,Web design, etc.) or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated experience in print and web copywriting, authoring and editing, with the ability to take photos to illustrate subjects and proven online idea-generation capabilities and ability to execute them quickly and successfully
• Proven ability to manage multiple files on an ongoing basis, and quickly change tasks as demands and circumstances change on short notice
• Working knowledge of PC and Mac (Microsoft Office, Mac/Apple Products) and Web authoring programs, blog software, and content management systems
• Demonstrated ability to work with intellectually challenging material, with strong editorial skills and a keen eye for detail
• A working understanding of the needs and practices of various platforms of news media outlets
• Basic video shooting and editing skills (an asset)
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships and interview a variety of individuals to gather relevant material and translate it into a format that is concise, informative and interesting
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by December 10, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.