Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Administrative Director, Concurrent Education Programs, the Academic Advisor monitors the academic progress of students, advising current and potential students on program requirements, and performing recruiting and public relations functions for Concurrent Education that include liaison with the rest of the university and the community at large. The incumbent is also responsible for Field Experience Assistant duties, which include arranging and monitoring field experiences that include school and associated administrative tasks under the leadership of the Associate Administrative Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responding to inquiries about Concurrent Education Programs and advising students on all aspects related to Concurrent Education Programs
• Providing program plans to Concurrent Education students
• Monitoring student records
• Providing information to potential students and their families, educators, other institutions and the community at large, via telephone calls, electronic mail, interviews and presentations at events such as Open House, Ontario University Fair
• Researching, developing and implementing communication media as an additional source of support for students
• Preparing materials for presentations, workshops and events connected with students
• Arranging and assisting with the supervision of student field experience
• Communicating with teacher supervisors to verify successful completion of field experiences through telephone calls and emails
• Communicating with Boards of Education (local and out of the region), schools, University partner departments, police departments and other community institutions/personnel to arrange field experiences for required concurrent courses
• Administering regulations associated with field experiences (Work Education Agreement policy, student professional and personal responsibilities)
• Resolving student issues related to field experiences
• Developing and delivering classroom presentations associated with field experiences
The ideal candidate will have:
• An undergraduate degree in a related discipline (BEd is preferred)
• Several years of relevant experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario school system
• Demonstrated Project management experience and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects
• Solid computer competency including word processing, spreadsheet, database, web applications and web maintenance, social media, internet search engines
• Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively with various stakeholders
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills
• Proven ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, and motivate others
• Strong judgment, analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by November 29, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.