Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Director, Hospitality Services, the Hospitality Event Coordinator oversees and ensures the smooth running of the department on a day-to-day basis. The Department encompasses three key areas: Campus bar events (with the exception of student operations); planning, delivery, execution and follow-up of University Events; and University Farmers Market.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Developing ideas, designing concepts, and planning for each event in line with the University Mandate and reflects the spirit, mission and Brock University’s brand
• Assessing the coordination, staffing, logistics planning, health and safety, promotion and marketing of each event
• Developing and preparing written standard operating process and references
• Approving and overseeing all bar requisitions, inventories, bar par levels, transfers, liquor service events, cost control and working schedules
• Responsible for cost containment
• Directing, coaching, supporting, supervising and evaluating the performance of all direct reports
• Consistently improving revenue generation through promotions and other relevant efforts, to increase sales and meet &/or exceed expectations
• Preparing event communication plans, reports, correspondence with stakeholders and other relevant documentation
• Cultivating new relationships and opportunities, maintaining current positive university/community relations
• Ensuring strict adherence and procedures are in place, ensuring compliance with the Liquor License Act and Regulations, fire code, health regulations and all applicable legislation
• Managing Risk Management (safety), contract negotiations, vendor management and representation of relevant stakeholders for events
The ideal candidate will have:
• A University degree in a relevant field, or a University degree with a relevant post-secondary certificate/diploma in a related field (e.g. public relations, hospitality, event management, and/or marketing)
• Several years of related progressive event management/planning/coordination experience as well as experience simultaneously managing multiple venues with P&L and cost inventory responsibilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of applicable provincial regulations (including the Liquor License Act and the Niagara Public Health Department’s Health Protection and Promotion Act)
• Demonstrated Project management experience and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects from conception to implementation and work effectively with employees at all level
• Solid computer competency including word processing, spreadsheet, database, web applications and web maintenance, social media, internet search engines
• Extreme accuracy and attention to detail
• Strong initiative and self-motivation and a constant drive for improvement with the demonstrated ability to think ‘outside the box’
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a strong customer service focus
• Demonstrated ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and utilize negotiation skills and resolve conflict situations
• Proven ability to build strong relationships with senior level management, executives and volunteers
• Demonstrated ability to manage, supervise and provide orientation to volunteers and staff members
• Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and work independently
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Wednesday, August 14, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment. We will accommodate the needs of the applicants and the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Department to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated through this process. Information received relating to accommodation measure will be addressed confidentially.
*The salary range indicated is representative of all positions evaluated at this level. Actual salary is determined by examining related skills, experience, budgetary restrictions and both internal and external equity comparators.