Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
The Faculty of Education is committed to scholarly excellence, diversity, and innovation in action, and the creation of a dynamic reputation and impact. Focusing on learning as a force of positive change the Faculty is a community of learners. Reporting to the Manager, Computer Services, the Systems Administrator & Senior Developer provides technical support and system administration, performs installations and maintenance of computer servers, workstations, and peripherals throughout the Faculty of Education and the Faculty’s multiple campus locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Performing daily operations, maintenance, and security of networks and computer systems utilized for research, instruction, and administrative purposes in the Faculty of Education;
• Providing user support and consultative services, and acting as technology consultant;
• Troubleshooting, diagnosing, configuring and correcting computer hardware and software issues;
• Administering database and software development by installing, maintaining, securing and managing Faculty of Education databases utilized for various applications;
• Creating applications that improve efficiencies within the Faculty of Education operations;
• Maintaining software and/or hardware collections and related records/indexes;
• Assisting in the presentation of user workshops to Faculty of Education faculty, staff and students;
• Managing printing systems database;
• Working with Communication Officer to enhance accessibility of up to date web content;
• Keeping up to date and knowledgeable in the field of computer science, technology and education;
• Assisting with tours and orientation for new education students;
• Participating in the Computer and Media Advisory Committee (CAMAC) offering technical and procedural input.
The ideal candidate will have:
• College diploma or University degree (e.g. Computer Science or equivalent program) or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated and recent experience with various computer operating systems (e.g. UNIX, Windows, Macintosh)
• Proven ability to work with various office administrative systems (e.g. MS Office, WordPerect, OpenOffice, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability with various web browsers, email packages and anti-virus utilities
• Proven ability to work with various programming design tools (e.g. Dreamweaver, Visual Studio, Photoshop, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to analyze complex computer problems, technical proposals and to expand upon them or develop alternatives and integrate emerging technologies into current environment
• Applied knowledge of a broad range of relevant multi-user computer systems, applications, equipment, relevant network technology and protocols, and current technological developments/trends
• Ability to install, configure, secure, manage, and maintain computer systems and implement custom applications
• Proven ability to script or code tools required for system administration tasks, using current development tools
• Demonstrated knowledge of printing protocols, computer security procedures and protocols
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• A team oriented attitude with the ability to work independently
• Proven ability to work with multiple users, vendors and various team members
• Strong time management and the ability to work well under tight deadlines
• Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Monday, July 8, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.