|Vacancy #: AP 20/2013|
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
Co-op Programs Office
(Job Group L)
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Co-op Programs, the Relationship Manager researches current market hiring trends, develops, and generates employment opportunities in all sectors of business, industry and government agencies for Brock Co-op students. The Relationship Manager is responsible for meeting and/or exceeding strategic goals set by the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Identifying and securing new employers through researching and identifying emerging employment trends and sectors to identify potential employers, finding jobs, and employing various methods to “sell” Co-op and secure jobs
• Converting job leads into discipline specific, relevant and valuable jobs by developing, nurturing, managing and serving a large network of employment contacts
• Working closely with employers to identify needs, developing appropriate, career-related job descriptions and following through to the hire phase
• Facilitating the arrangement of interviews between employers and students and discussing interview results with employers to help determine best fits
• Supporting new employers through the process of employing a first time Co-op student and closely monitoring success of the work term for both employers and students to develop strategies for future/repeat hires
• Contributing daily to the effective management of the Co-op database
• Managing and fostering relationships with employers through regular contact and conducting on-site visits
• Conducting work site visits each term with employers and Co-op students to monitor progress and performance
• Identifying and promoting opportunities for employer representatives to gain visibility on campus
• Attending events and conferences to leverage opportunities to connect with a network of employers
• Developing and continually reviewing and enhancing delivery of innovative career development support to assist students with realizing their career potential
• Strategically researching emergent trends in the identification and selection of talent to provide sector-specific career advice and supporting students and ensuring relevance of career resources
• Assessing students’ needs/situations and recommending realistic and achievable career goals
• Determining and implementing methods and strategies to ensure student engagement at all stages of the process from career preparation through to hire and on the job follow-up
• Preparing students for the job market by making recommendations for improvement to cover letters and resumes by email, one-on-one, or in small group settings
• Arranging and often conducting mock interview sessions individually with students before each interview; providing critical employer feedback post interview
• Providing critical input into the development, scheduling and facilitation of workshops and other career events, including Year One Orientation and Pre-employment Workshop Series
• Developing strategic marketing and promotional materials to assist students with their career preparation activities
• Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
• University degree and previous experience in sales/marketing, or with co-operative education/internships
• excellent communication and presentation skills and a keen ability to “sell” and close deals
• Creativity and problem solving abilities to provide advice and recommendations to employers and students with all aspects of the Co-op/Career process
• Proven ability to organize and handle a variety of projects, deadlines, and schedules simultaneously and independently
• Demonstrated behaviour that indicates personal commitment to innovation, teamwork, flexibility and integrity
• Strong computer skills and competency with Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, PowerPoint as well as extensive use of e-mail (Outlook) and ability to quickly learn in-house system – Career Zone
• Previous career advising/counseling experience; knowledge of best practices in career development and ability to provide constructive feedback on resumes, cover letters and interviewing skills
• A valid driver’s license and/or the ability to travel throughout Ontario on a regular basis and periodically out of province
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Tuesday, April 23, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.