|Vacancy #: AP 19/2013|
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
Senior Laboratory Demonstrator - 3 Vacancies
2 Permanent Full-time and 1 Term Full-Time with possible renewal
(Job Group L)
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Chair of the Biology Department, the Senior Laboratory Demonstrator is responsible for implementing and maintaining the laboratory component of Biology courses at the first, second, or third year levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Managing lab resources, conducting inventory of chemicals and other materials, arranging for the disposal of waste chemicals and materials in compliance with safety policy guidelines and ensuring laboratory equipment is well maintained
• Preparing and setting up lab exercises that are current and relevant to the course content, including question and marking scheme design
• Utilizing feedback, researching and revising experiments and lab manuals as necessary
• Preparing and distributing lab teaching notes, teaching aids, assignments and marking keys
• Monitoring marking and other performance factors of lab demonstrators and maintaining and recording student grades
• Teaching and demonstrating the correct operation of scientific equipment to teaching assistants and students, ensuring safety within labs is maintained by all parties
• Resolving student issues and concerns including missed labs, timetable conflicts, personnel issues, and marking concerns
• Direct supervision of teaching assistants and other part-time lab demonstrators Supervision of students in the labs
• All other related duties as required
The ideal candidate will have:
• BSc in Biological Sciences (MSc in Biological Sciences and or closely related field preferred)
• Applied teaching, lab demonstrating and supervisory experience
• Proven ability to manage multiple tasks within strict deadlines
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Valid First Aid certificate or willing to successfully complete First Aid training
• Applied knowledge of standard biological/chemical laboratory instrumentation, chemical safety and experimental procedures, principles of operation and troubleshooting of laboratory instruments
• Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and record-keeping skills
• Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, prioritization and problem solving in order to meet deadlines
• Proficient user of various computers programs and software (e.g. e-mail, internet searches, spreadsheets, word processing and database applications)
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to email a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Friday, May 3, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.