|Vacancy #: AP 13/2013|
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
Financial and Administrative Services
(Job Group M)
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Controller and Manager of Finance the Financial Analyst is responsible for the timely preparation of complete and accurate financial statements and financial reporting of Brock University and its programs, departments and external partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Preparing the University’s annual financial statements in compliance with not-for-profit accounting standards, providing supporting documentation and working papers to support the financial statement and liaising with auditors as required
• Providing variance analysis on budget to actual comparison, investigating significant variances; providing value add recommendations to improve performance, as applicable.
• Providing accurate, timely and relevant internal and external reporting, fulfilling monthly, quarterly, annual and on demand requirements
• Accurately and timely producing tax certificates and discussing the appropriate tax treatment of income payments processed by the University
• Leading, researching and managing action plan to implement improvements for successful outcomes
• Maintaining the overall accuracy of the financial accounting system
• Leading and/or participating in special projects
• All other related duties as required
The ideal candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university and a professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA)
• Minimum three years of experience in accounting and financial reporting
• Demonstrated experience with not-for-profit accounting standards, an asset
• Proven ability in preparing charitable and not-for-profit tax returns, an asset
• Applicable experience in the process and filling of indirect taxes, an asset
• Ability to research issues and develop recommendations for management review to be applied to organization processes, accounting and financial reporting
• Proven ability to handle concurrent demands, establish priorities and determine needed actions
• Demonstrated ability to see the big picture and work with cross functional teams in projects to improve organization processes, accounting and financial reporting
• Ability to establish and maintain sound working relationships
• Well-developed writing skills sufficient to creatively and precisely articulate ideas and opinions that involve analysis, interpretation and assessment.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Friday, March 15, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.