|Vacancy #: NU 01/2013|
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
Animal Care Technician*
Office of Research Services
(Job Group H)
Our unique philosophy takes students beyond the pursuit of academic excellence. To achieve this philosophy we endeavour to take our employees beyond the pursuit of just a career. Brock is a place where left-brain and right-brain thinking come together. We encourage our employees to utilize their rational/analytical thinking in concert with their emotional/creative sides in order to have an engaging and rewarding career. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario, with hundreds of millions of dollars committed to new construction and programs. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture. We are looking for qualified people who will bring their expertise and dedication in support of the University’s goals and objectives.
The Animal Care Technician (ACT) provides and supervises quality care for all vertebrate animals used in teaching and research at Brock University while supporting Canadian Council of Animal Care (CCAC) guidelines and adhering to regulations contained in the Ontario Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Animals for Research Act.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Conducting animal husbandry and providing care for all species, including specialty animals, while following established standard operating procedures and regulatory compliance requirements
• Assembling and disassembling animal cages, and preparing shipping crates and completing cage cards with appropriate information
• Receiving animals from supplier, performing initial health screening and notifying the Principal Investigator (PI) of their arrival
• Carrying out prophylactic/preventative health procedures and maintaining records
• Observing and documenting injuries, diseases, abnormal behaviour of ill or deceased animals and reporting to veterinary staff, Pls and ACM.
• Participating in health monitoring, which includes health assessments, quality assurance and treatment of all animals under the direction of the veterinary staff
• Providing technical assistance to researchers including minor surgical techniques, surgical assistance, preparation, calculations and post-approval monitoring, cleaning and wrapping instruments for sterilization prior to surgery and
• Performing euthanasia in accordance with SOPs
• Maintaining all documentation as required and developing and modifying SOPs;
• All other related duties as required
The ideal candidate will have:
• Animal Care Technology (3yr) or Veterinary Health Technician Program (2yr) or equivalent
• Eligibility for Canadian Association for Laboratory Animal Science (CALAS) certification as Registered Laboratory Animal Technician (RLAT) and commitment to complete within 12 months
• Demonstrated experience conducting animal husbandry; handling and care with a regulated environment
• Demonstrated experience working in a laboratory setting, including exposure/experience with surgical procedures
• Keen eye for detail and ability to work within stringent policies and procedures
• No exposure to pet rodents at home or elsewhere due to the importance of maintaining special health status of specific pathogen free rodents housed at Brock
• No known animal allergies
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of discretion and confidentiality on and off the job
• Ability to use basic computer programs (MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Tuesday, March 19, 2013.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, due to volume we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.