|Vacancy #: AP 02/2013|
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
Senior Staff Scientist in Oenology
Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute
Term Full-Time (2-year with possible renewal)
(Job Group O)
Brock University’s Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute (CCOVI) has established itself as a successful, internationally recognized research institute on cool climate viticulture, oenology, wine business and wine culture. We are currently seeking applications for a Senior Staff Scientist in Oenology, specializing in Wine Flavour Chemistry, to support research and outreach activities in CCOVI. Reporting to the Director of CCOVI, 50% of the time will be devoted to applied research in oenology on issues relevant to the Canadian grape and wine industry, and 50% on outreach activities to support the grape and wine industry in the Niagara Region of Ontario and across Canada. Responsibilities will include: providing research support for funded research programs; liaising with industry winemakers; collaborating with CCOVI faculty researchers; drafting competitive, multidisciplinary grant proposals; recruiting students to assist in research; communicating research results through seminars, summary documents, peer-reviewed papers and individual consultation; developing workshops; responding to inquiries; problem-solving; assisting researchers with sample analysis; and providing training on advanced analytical techniques, such as GC/MS. The establishment of an externally funded research program with supervision of undergraduate and graduate students is expected.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• A PhD in a relevant discipline (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, Oenology and Viticulture);
• Knowledge in advanced analytical techniques for grape and wine analysis using equipment such as GC/MS, GC/MS/Olfactometry, HPLC, and FOSS WineScan;
• The ability to maintain or troubleshoot problems with advanced analytical equipment;
• Effective communication skills combined with excellent problem solving abilities and innovative solutions;
• Demonstrated success attaining grant money and solving wine production problems;
• Awareness of issues relevant to the local grape and wine industry preferred, as is experience working with industry on wine production problems.
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage. The two-year position may be renewable pending budgetary approval. Further information about CCOVI can be found at www.brocku.ca/ccovi/. Review of applications will begin on February 18, 2013 and will continue until suitable candidates have been identified. Applicants are invited to submit a resume and cover letter, including a research plan, a statement of outreach activity plans, reprints of several recent publications, the names of three references, and salary expectations, quoting the vacancy number to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Human Resources and Environment, Health and Safety, BROCK UNIVERSITY, St. Catharines ON L2S 3A1.
Visit us at: brocku.ca/hr
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.