|Vacancy #: AP 81/2012|
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
Advising and Retention Officer
Term Part-Time (12 months with possible renewal)
(Job Group J)
Why work at Brock? We’re a university designed for the very purpose of developing well-rounded individuals. We recognize and nurture both sides of the brain — where diverse passions are welcomed and celebrated, and students and employees become better versions of themselves. We’re one of the fastest-growing universities in Ontario. We’re small enough to be intimate and big enough to attract world-class minds. Located at the centre of Canada's beautiful Niagara Peninsula, Brock offers an exciting work environment with strong undergraduate, graduate and interdisciplinary programs and a vigorous research culture.
Reporting to the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs, the Advising and Retention Officer will be responsible for academic advising and retention activities for the Faculty of Mathematics and Science, with a specific focus on Bachelor of Science general studies students. Key responsibilities include: participating and administering academic advising; providing academic advice on the choice of subject areas, courses and establishing study plans; participating in the establishment and the administration of a students’ performance monitoring systems in first and second year courses; informing and intervening with students, instructors, and relevant academic and personal support services for remedial activities; participating in the planning, coordination, and delivery of retention activities and initiatives with other university units, instructors and staff; and keeping an updated record of students’ progress and retention data.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A university degree, preferably in a science related program (post graduate courses and/or degree would be considered an asset)
• Broad knowledge of life and physical sciences
• Experience as a science instructor/teaching assistant
• Excellent interpersonal skills; approachable and supportive of students
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to facilitate effective communication
• Leadership and sense of initiative
• Knowledge of issues of transition to university and the acquisition of study skills and work habits
• Strong willingness to quickly acquire a solid knowledge of Mathematics and Science programs, career and further studies prospects, university regulations and university services
• Proficiency with Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Notes / To Apply :
This position includes full comprehensive benefits coverage, including tuition waiver. Applicants are invited to submit a resumé and cover letter, including salary expectations, by applying online below by Monday, December 10, 2012.
It is Brock University’s policy to give consideration to qualified internal applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.