|Posted:||Oct 25, 2012|
|Department:||Rodman Hall Art Centre|
|Employment Status:||Permanent Part-Time|
|Hours of Work:||21 hours per week normally; with an anticipated 12 weeks at 35 hours per week annually|
|Salary Scale:||$17.34 per hour (effective July 1, 2011)|
Recognizing that art enriches peoples’ lives, Rodman Hall seeks to provide an inspiring setting and experience for all visitors. Rodman Hall is committed to excellence in visual arts programming and education, providing services and resources to the students and faculty of Brock University, the City of St. Catharines, and the Niagara region. Nationally, Rodman Hall supports the development of artists and cultural workers in southern Ontario through the dissemination of contemporary art, the management of the region’s pre-eminent art collection, and the preservation of a significant historic house and gardens.
We are currently looking for a Preparator to join our team. Reporting to the Director/Curator of Rodman Hall, the Preparator performs and oversees the preparation work for the installation of exhibitions. Under the direction of the Curator, the Preparator will be responsible for preparation of art; installation and dismantling artworks in the exhibition spaces and sculpture garden; installation of labels, didactic panels and signage; performance of all duties in accordance with Canadian and International Museum standards as they relate to the handling of works of art; coordination of movement of all collections and objects; packing and unpacking of crates and condition reporting on objects; safely storing works of art; monitoring of humidity and temperature levels in the vault and exhibition spaces; repair, painting and preparation of walls in all Gallery spaces; carpentry/construction; lighting the exhibitions to specifications; maintain workroom and A/V room; Liaise and co-operate with contract assistance that may be required for installation support; and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
• Class G Drivers License
• Trades related work and/or education
• Thorough knowledge of wood working, metal working, casting and electrical circuits
• Substantial knowledge of fabrication, construction and installation of museum exhibits; artistic material and processes; as well as display and lighting techniques
• Material knowledge of physical plant operations
• Experience or knowledge of working in a gallery or an art centre
• Sound knowledge and experience with current national and international standards and practices as relates to the handling of works of art
• Experience working independently and within a team
• Ability to lift and move heavy objects and regularly climb ladders
• Adaptable communication and interpersonal skills
Notes / To Apply :
Applicants are invited to submit a resumé and cover letter by applying online below by 4:30 p.m., Monday, November 5, 2012.
It is Brock University’s policy to give first consideration to qualified internal CUPE 2220 Rodman Hall applicants.
We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
Brock University is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is included in the CUPE 2220 Union.